Home

TTR News Center

Winter-like week ahead for millions from the Midwest to the Northeast

No Comments National News

ABC News(NEW YORK) — It has been a very warm fall so far in the Eastern U.S., but this warmth is ending very quickly as several shots of arctic air are moving in.

Already this weekend, the coldest air of the season has moved into the East Coast and the Deep South with snow flying near the Great Lakes.

Some areas in western New York and south of Buffalo saw up to 5 inches of snow making it look like winter.
 
On Monday morning, the coldest air of the season stretches from Birmingham, Alabama to Boston, Massachusetts, where the actual temperatures are in the 30’s.

After Monday’s chill, the East Coast will get a break for a few days as a new arctic blast moves into the Midwest and the Great Lakes Wednesday into Thursday.

Some of this cold air will spill into the Northeast by Thursday morning.

This will be, by far, the coldest air of this fall season so far.

As this new dose of cold air spills east, a storm system will develop in the southern Plains on Wednesday and will track across the Ohio Valley and into the Northeast on Thursday evening.

This storm system will interact with colder air spilling into the area and places from the Midwest to the Northeast could see its first snow of the season.

By Thursday night, the storm system will move into the Northeast, and it is possible that many areas from Pennsylvania to upstate New York and into New England could see some snow, while places along I-95 will see mostly rain.

We have to wait and see exactly who will see what precipitation, because this is still far away and not all models are agreeing on this storm system bringing accumulating snow.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

NJ investigators search for clues in disappearance of 25-year-old woman

No Comments National News

Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office(NEW YORK) — Authorities in New Jersey are searching for a 25-year-old woman who vanished last week.

Stephanie Parze was last seen at her home in Freehold Township, New Jersey, on the night of Oct. 30, according to a statement from the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.

Speaking to New York City ABC station WABC-TV, Parze’s parents said their daughter was leaving a family gathering that night and was supposed to call or text them when she arrived home, but they never heard from her. She didn’t show up to work the next day.

The family told WABC that it appears Parze had made it home because her phone was found inside and her car was in the driveway.

Little else is known about her mysterious disappearance.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is urged to contact Detective Shawn Murphy of the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office at 732-431-7160 ext. 7032, or Detective Daniel Valentine of the Freehold Township Police at 732-462-7908.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Hispanic man says he was doused with battery acid in racist attack

No Comments National News

vmargineanu/iStock(MILWAUKEE) — A Milwaukee man was left with second-degree burns over the weekend after someone threw battery acid in his face and accused him of being in the country illegally.

Mahud Villalaz, 42, said a man doused him with the chemical during an argument on Friday over how he parked his vehicle. A surveillance camera captured the encounter on video, showing the suspect raising his hands and pointing in Villalaz’s face right before he splashed him with the liquid.

“He told me I could not park right there. He said, ‘You need to obey the law. You came here and invade my country,'” Villalaz, who is Hispanic, told reporters at a press conference Sunday. “I ignored him.”

Villalaz said he moved his car to another space, but the man, who he says is white, was “still waiting out there with a bottle in his hands.”

“He started arguing, saying, ‘Why you came here and invade my country? Why you came here illegally?’ [I said], ‘Sir, you don’t know my status. I’m a U.S. citizen too,'” Villalaz recalled. “He got mad when I told him ‘everybody came here from somewhere else.'”

Villalaz, who was on his way to a restaurant, said he had begun to walk away when the man suddenly tossed the acid in his face.

He said he tried to defend himself, “but then it started burning really bad.”

“I started screaming for help. I went to the restaurant to try to wash myself,” Villalaz said. “I was really scared. I thought he was going to run behind me. But thank God nothing else happened. Thank God he didn’t have a gun and I have my life.”

The Milwaukee Police Department told ABC News that they arrested a 61-year-old man in connection with the attack, but they did not release his identity. He will face a charge of aggravated battery, police said.

The department did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.

Milwaukee Alderman Jose Perez said he expects the suspect to be charged with a hate crime.

“This was senseless violence and it needs to stop. We as a community need to come together to work through our differences and learn to respect one another and diffuse (sic) conflict,” Perez said in a statement. “We as a community are encouraged that police are investigating this attack as a hate crime and have been ensured that all hate crime enhancers are added to the charges.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Police searching for person of interest in death of couple found in beach grave

No Comments National News

MicroStockHub/iStock(NEW YORK) — Police are searching for a person of interest in the death of a New Hampshire couple who was found buried on a Texas beach.

James Butler, 48, and his wife, 46-year-old Michelle Butler, were found buried in a shallow grave on a remote part of Padre Island along the southern coast of Texas on Oct. 27 and 28, nearly three weeks after they disappeared, police said.

The unidentified person of interest was seen driving the couple’s stolen RV across a checkpoint into Mexico in surveillance footage on Oct. 21. There were no suspects in custody as of Sunday and police are still searching for the RV.

Authorities discovered the couple’s badly decomposed remains after one of their cellphones pinged in the area. Deputies with the Kleberg County Sheriff’s Office were following up on the lead when they noticed a bra covered in sand on the side of a dune. Upon further investigation, they discovered the bodies.

The sheriff’s office said it took several days to identify the bodies because they had no identification and had badly decomposed. Their causes of death have not been released, but police are investigating the case as a homicide.

The couple’s family said the pair were avid travelers and were partaking in a cross-country road trip to Florida, where they planned to sell Christmas trees.

They were reported missing on Oct. 23 when family and friends notified police, saying they hadn’t heard from them in a week.

“They are always in contact with the families. So, the fact that, even for a day, they were out of contact was really strange,” James Butler’s niece, Stephanie van Loon, told ABC News in an interview Sunday. “They were the type of people to open their hearts and homes to everybody. They were just those kinds of people.

“They [met] great friends all along the way, which is part of the reason the social media factor was so helpful because everyone really wanted to help find them. They had friends all over the U.S. from their travels,” she added.

Van Loon said Michelle Butler had children from a previous relationship and grandchildren she “always wanted to talk to.” She described the Butlers as a fun-loving couple who enjoyed making people laugh and partaking in outdoor activities like horseback riding and hiking.

“I have so many photos of them just going all over the U.S. and all the hiking trails through all the different climbs. They were really loving the chance to explore out West and the desert environments,” van Loon said. “Growing up here in New Hampshire, it’s obviously very deciduous and it’s just they were really trying to experience the parts of the U.S. that he hadn’t been able to experience before.”

She said the family is looking forward to finally starting the grieving process, but she said they won’t be able to get proper closure until justice is served.

“In a way, it was a sigh of relief for everybody because if we had found out that it wasn’t them, it honestly would have been so much worse in the sense of not knowing where they were or anything,” van Loon said. “We’re hoping to find whoever is responsible and get an answer as to why something like this would have happened.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Milwaukee man arrested in fatal hit-and-run that killed young sisters

No Comments National News

WISN(MILWAUKEE) — Milwaukee police have arrested a suspect in a fatal hit-and-run crash that killed two young sisters and injured their cousin.

Daetwan Robinson, 19, was charged with two counts of hit-and-run involving death, among other felony charges, on Friday in connection with an Oct. 24 crash that killed a 6-year-old girl and her 4-year-old sister, according to police.

The sisters were holding hands and crossing the street at around 5:30 p.m. when Robinson allegedly sped through a red light, striking the sisters and their 10-year-old cousin, who was left in critical condition, police said.

The 6-year-old girl was pronounced dead shortly after the accident and her younger sister died at the hospital five days later, police said. The 10-year-old boy survived and was released from the hospital last week.

His mother told Milwaukee ABC affiliate WISN that they were walking with a teenager when they were hit.

The 6-year-old girl was pronounced dead shortly after the accident and her younger sister died at the hospital five days later, police said. The 10-year-old boy survived and was released from the hospital last week.

His mother told Milwaukee ABC affiliate WISN that they were walking with a teenager when they were hit.

“It was a careless act. It was very careless of them, whoever it was, you know right or wrong. You know at the end of the day it was kids and whoever hit them they confirmed that they were kids before they even hit them, and they still took off,” Shanterika Rayford said last week. “Whoever it was that did it, I want them to know that you really hurt someone’s heart and you really hurt someone’s family.”

Robinson’s full charges include hit-and-run resulting in death, two counts of second-degree reckless homicide, hit-and-run causing great bodily harm and second-degree causing reckless injury.

Surveillance footage from the scene showed Robinson traveling “at such a speed that it appears to be fishtailing and on two wheels only just prior to impact,” according to a criminal complaint.

Prosecutors said the girls were “sent flying” into the air on impact.

Investigators arrested Robinson at his home a day after the crash after receiving a tip about a car for sale that matched the vehicle described in the crash.

Police said Robinson attempted to paint the car and remove the window tinting in an effort to “alter its outward appearance.” The car was also missing a lower grille, which investigators said matched the one that was left at the scene.

Investigators said they also received a statement from a “confidential informant” who said Robinson admitted to hitting three kids and making “a rookie mistake.”

Robinson’s bail was set at $500,000 during a court hearing on Friday. He could face up to life in prison and fines of up to $475,000 if found guilty as charged.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

%d bloggers like this: