Home

TTR News Center

Oklahoma sees rise in COVID cases following reopening

No Comments National News

KOCO/ABC News(TULSA, Oklahoma) — BY: IVAN PEREIRA

As President Trump prepares to hold his first major election rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, this weekend, health experts have issued strong warnings about the coronavirus risks posed to attendees as all of Oklahoma sees a rise in cases.

Gov. Kevin Stitt rolled back the state’s coronavirus precautions for businesses on May 1, when the state’s health department said there were 3,748 total cases. As of June 18, there were 8,908 confirmed cases throughout Oklahoma, according to the health department.

Over the last seven weeks, the number of new cases reported daily has been on the rise, according to state health data. During the first week of May, the seven-day average of new daily cases was around 96.6 but by June 17, that average jumped to 203.4, according to the health department.

The state did increase its testing capability and those results show some progress concerning Oklahoma’s positivity rate, the health department data showed. By the end of the first week of May, the state tested 89,857 people and had a positivity rate of about 5.3%, according to the health department. Last week, the state tested 248,091 people and had a positivity rate of approximately 3.7%, the health department said.

The biggest number of cases are in the state’s two largest cities: Oklahoma City and Tulsa, according to health data. Oklahoma City had 1,391 cases while Tulsa had 1,288 cases as of June 18, according to the state’s health department.

On Wednesday, Tulsa Health Department director Dr. Bruce Dart reported that 96 Tulsa County residents tested positive for the coronavirus, which set a new daily record for the city. He warned that large gatherings, like the one scheduled for Saturday by the president, could make the outbreak worse for residents.

“So many people are over COVID, but COVID is not over,” he said at a news conference.

Dart urged the president to reconsider his rally.

“So if we could push it back to when the data tells us it’s safer, that is my recommendation. That is what I personally would like to see happen,” he said.

Tulsa Mayor G. T. Bynum also expressed concern about the rally and said he was not attending. However, he said he would not block it.

Bynum stressed that the increase in cases was likely due to people relaxing their precautions. He urged residents to wear face coverings to prevent the spread.

“Don’t be surprised when you see your numbers increase,” he said at a news conference. “This is about what we do in our daily lives every day.”

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

ABC reportedly buzzing about spin-offs of 'Modern Family', 'Fresh Off the Boat'

No Comments Entertainment News

ABC/Gilles Mingasson(LOS ANGELES) — While the sitcoms Fresh Off the Boat and Modern Family have sailed into the sitcom sunset, the ABC shows could spawn spin-offs, Deadline is reporting. 

Fresh Off the Boat centered on the Huang family, Taiwanese-Americans who moved from Washington, D.C. to Florida.  It was based on the life of Eddie Huang, a high schooler in the show who in real life became a star chef, author, and restaurateur, in addition to a producer of the show. 

The spin-off, tentatively called Magic Motor Inn, would have centered on an Indian-American family, the daughter of which attended school with Eddie.

In a chat with the trade, ABC Entertainment President Karey Burke explained that a potential Fresh Off yhe Boat spin-off idea “did not ultimately come together,” but the trade reports there’s still “enthusiasm” for an idea. 

As for Modern Family, a spin-off would reportedly center on Cam and Mitch, a married gay couple played by Eric Stonestreet and Jesse Tyler Ferguson, respectively.  Back in March, Modern Family co-creator Steven Levitan told Deadline, “I don’t want to say it’s a long shot, it’s under discussion, but we’ll see.”

Co-creator/executive producer Christopher Lloyd added, “doing a spinoff is fraught in a lot of ways, and we won’t do it unless we feel confident there’s something there … particularly because Modern Family is a tough act to follow.”

That being said, Deadline says, “the network and the studio remain high on the idea.” 

ABC has had great success spinning off its newer shows.  grown-ish, on Freeform, was spawned from ABC’s groundbreaking black-ish, and The Conners was born from the controversial canceling of the Roseanne reboot, which was axed after Roseanne Barr tweeted a comment widely considered to be racist.

By Stephen Iervolino
Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Raven-Symoné introduces her wife, Miranda Pearman-Maday, in an intimate ceremony

No Comments Entertainment News

Disney Channel/Kelsey McNeal(LOS ANGELES) — Raven-Symoné is officially a married woman! 

During Pride Month, the 34-year-old actor and host revealed she married her wife, Miranda Pearman-Maday, in what appears to be an intimate ceremony with a few friends in her backyard.

The View co-host teased fans ahead of the big announcement on Instagram, writing, “So something happened this week, that has changed my life FOR THE BETTER!” while sharing a photo of what appears to be a glass of champagne.

In another post, Raven-Symoné wrote, “I got married to a woman who understands me from trigger to joy, from breakfast to midnight snack, from stage to home. I love you, Mrs. Pearman-Maday! Let’s tear this world [anew]! I’s married NOW.”

A few friends hit up the comments to send the couple well wishes for years of love. 

“Congrats Raven!!! That’s amazing!” wrote former Disney co-star Christy Carlson Romano. “I’m really happy for you!”

Former Cheetah Girls co-star Kiely Williams wrote, “Wishing you both a lifetime of love, joy, and laughter.”

And of course, Raven-Symoné’s longtime friend, Bow Wow, had to chime in, even as he admitted they’d already spoken.

“You know I had to facetime you, and you give you my love, but I’ll leave something here too,” Bow Wow wrote. “Love you, Rave. Yall be happy F the naysayers. Live it and do it bigger than big!”

Congratulations, Raven-Symoné and Miranda Pearman-Maday! 

By Rachel George
Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Trisha Yearwood, The Judds are among the Hollywood Walk of Fame Class of 2021

No Comments Country Music News

ABC/Image Group LATrisha Yearwood, The Judds and Kelly Clarkson are among the artists who will receive their very own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame as part of the Class of 2021. The full, 35-honoree class was announced today during a livestreamed event hosted by the organization.

Each year, a panel of artists and entertainers who are part of the Walk of Fame convene to select the new class of incoming honorees. This year’s selected recipients fall into the categories of Motion Pictures, Television, Recording, Live Theatre/Live Performance, and Radio.

In addition to the honorees who are representing the country contingent, other recording artists being honored include groundbreaking rapper Missy Elliott, “American Pie” singer-songwriter Don McLean, pioneering rock group Jefferson Airplane and many more. They’ll be honored alongside actors and performers including Courteney Cox, Zac Efron and Christian Slater.

Trisha and The Judds both have some practice when it comes to receiving a star in their name: They’re both included in the Music City Walk of Fame in Nashville, Tennessee.

Dates for star ceremonies for the new honorees are not yet available, as the recipients have two years to schedule their ceremonies upon being selected. To learn more, visit the Walk of Fame’s website.

By Carena Liptak
Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Philly woman accused of torching police cars during protest tracked down through Etsy, LinkedIn

No Comments National News

ABC News(PHILADELPHIA) — BY: ELLA TORRES

A Philadelphia woman was arrested and charged after she allegedly set two police vehicles on fire during protests over the death of George Floyd.

The FBI managed to track down the women, identified by police as Lore-Elisabeth Blumenthal, 33, through purchases she made on Etsy and her LinkedIn profile.

Authorities said in a criminal complaint, obtained by ABC News, they sifted through numerous videos and photos of people setting two vehicles on fire at the Philadelphia protests on May 30, which they noted were mostly peaceful.

In some of the photos, a woman with a peace sign tattoo who wore a T-shirt that read, “Keep the immigrants deport the racists,” was seen. Her face was covered by what looked like a bandana in some photos. Others showed her face.

The FBI found the shirt on Etsy, which they called “unique,” and found that a user by the name of “alleycatlore” left a five-star review of the shirt, according to the criminal complaint.

That username then belonged to a person who also used the username “lore-elisabeth,” according to the FBI.

Authorities then searched Lore Elisabeth online and found a LinkedIn profile of a woman in Philadelphia. They learned she was employed as a massage therapist and her employer had videos posted to their website, with the woman in the video matching a driver’s license photo of Blumenthal.

One of the videos showed the same tattoo the woman seen in the protests had, according to the criminal complaint.

A phone number listed by her employer came up belonging to Blumenthal and an address was also found, the criminal complaint stated. Etsy also later provided a record of sale after a subpoena was issued and the address was the same as the one they found through Blumenthal’s employers.

Authorities said in some of the photos she was seen wearing what appeared to be fire retardant gloves.

They said the gloves were “evidence of intent and planning to engage in activities that could potentially hurt her hands and/or eyes, including arson,” the criminal complaint read.

“We at the U.S. Attorney’s Office fully support the First Amendment right of the people to assemble peaceably and to petition their government. But torching a police car has nothing to do with peaceful protest or any legitimate message,” U.S. Attorney William M. McSwain said in a statement. “Anybody who engaged in such acts can stand by to put your hands behind your back and head to federal prison. We are coming for you.”

The U.S. Attorney’s Office said in a statement the two vehicles — a sedan and sport utility vehicle — were destroyed after being engulfed in flames. Blumenthal was allegedly seen taking a piece of flaming wood from one of the vehicles already on fire and throwing it into the other that was not yet in flames, authorities said. She was also allegedly seen throwing a flaming object to light the first vehicle on fire.

Blumenthal is in federal custody and it was not immediately clear if she had obtained legal representation yet. Her detention hearing is scheduled for Friday.

If convicted, she could face a maximum sentence of 80 years in prison and a fine of up to $500,000.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

%d bloggers like this: