Home

TTR News Center

Teen charged for threatening to 'shoot 400 people for fun,' police say

No Comments

smolaw11/iStock(MCALESTER, Okla.) — Police arrested an Oklahoma teenager with a semi-automatic rifle this week after she allegedly threatened to target her former high school and “shoot 400 people for fun.”

Alexis Wilson, 18, was arrested at her home on Monday after allegedly telling coworkers at a pizza restaurant in McAlester, Oklahoma, about 90 miles south of Tulsa, that she purchased a new AK-47 and had the urge to shoot people, according to police.

The coworkers reported Wilson’s comments after she left, claiming she had showed them videos and images of her firing the rifle and noted that “there were so many people” at McAlester High School, where she previously attended, that she would like to shoot, according to an incident report.

Officers with the Pittsburg County Sheriff’s Office said they found the rifle in Wilson’s bedroom, as well as a 12-gauge shotgun, six high-capacity magazines and rounds of ammunition. She was charged with a felony for making a terrorist threat against the school.

“This is probably everybody’s biggest fear in the United States right now — a school shooting,” Pittsburg County Sheriff Chris Morris told ABC News in an interview Tuesday. “Lots of people don’t want to acknowledge that this, an active shooter or school violence, is probably the biggest threat in America right now.”

He said he was proud of his deputies for acting fast on the claims because all threats of this nature must be taken seriously in today’s climate.

“There’s no time to sit around and wait on it. I don’t want one of my schools in my county shot up. I don’t want anybody hurt,” he said. “So when I got the information, I spoke with my deputies and I told them not to go home until they had it resolved and taken care of.”

Officials at McAlester High School said Wilson dropped out during her freshman year and had previously been suspended for bringing a knife to school and having a swastika symbol on her belongings, investigators said.

Wilson told police that she had recently completed a program at a camp for troubled youth and tried to enroll back into McAlester High School, but they didn’t allow her to, according to the incident report.

Investigators said she seemed “very upset” about not being allowed to return to school, but she denied being mad about it. She said she was previously angry about being bullied by other students, but not anymore.

“Alexis also then stated to me that she used to be suicidal and border line homicidal to the people of Mcalester School because she was bullied,” one of the arresting officers wrote in the incident report. “I asked Alexis if she had thought about hurting anyone at the school and she stated not recently but she has in the past.”

Wilson was being held on $250,000 bond at the Pittsburg County Jail as of late Tuesday. She pleaded not guilty at her arraignment on Monday and is scheduled to appear in court again on Sept. 27.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

New York Giants name rookie Daniel Jones starting QB for Week Three

No Comments

Photo by Allen Kee / ESPN Images(NEW YORK) — The New York Giants are turning to rookie Daniel Jones at quarterback for Week Three, ending Eli Manning’s run as the team’s starter after nearly 15 years.

“Eli and I spoke this morning,” head coach Pat Shurmur said in a news release. “I told him that we are making a change and going with Daniel as the starter.”

Shurmur said Manning was disappointed by the news, but vowed to continue to be a good teammate.

Jones was the team’s first-round selection in this year’s draft, number six overall. The selection was questioned by some experts, who questioned whether his collegiate performance at Duke warranted such a high draft pick.

Manning made a franchise-record 232 starts for New York. He won two Super Bowls with the team, beating the New England Patriots both times.

“Ultimately, this is a move that I felt was best for this team at this time,” Shurmur said. “This move is more about Daniel moving forward than about Eli.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

'It's a public health crisis and it ends today': New York bans flavored e-cigarettes

No Comments

danchooalex/iStock(ALBANY, New York) — New York state has banned the sale of flavored e-cigarettes amid growing national concern about the safety of the products.

The ban went into effect after being approved by the state’s Public Health and Health Planning Council Tuesday afternoon.

New York is the first state to enact such a ban, although Michigan lawmakers have approved a similar ban but are working out details.

This comes days after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued an emergency executive order banning the sale of flavored e-cigarettes.

“It is undeniable that vaping companies are deliberately using flavors like bubblegum, Captain Crunch and cotton candy to get young people hooked on e-cigarettes — it’s a public health crisis and it ends today,” Cuomo said in a statement issued after the panel’s decision.

“New York is not waiting for the federal government to act, and by banning flavored e-cigarettes we are safeguarding the public health and helping prevent countless young people from forming costly, unhealthy and potentially deadly life-long habits,” he added.

The governor made his intentions known earlier, calling for people to stop smoking e-cigarettes until more is known about their ingredients after a number of hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks.

At a news conference earlier this month, Cuomo said “common sense” would suggest that “if you don’t know what you are smoking, don’t smoke it, and right now we don’t know.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Danny McBride in formation for a reboot of 'Hogan's Heroes'

No Comments

ABC/Randy Holmes(LOS ANGELES) — The 1960s WWII comedy Hogan’s Heroes is getting the reboot treatment, Deadline is reporting.

The sitcom, based in a prison camp, focused on a group of American POWs who constantly get the better of their German captors.  The reboot will turn the show into an, “action adventure comedy series” co-produced by original series co-creator Al Ruddy, and actor/producer Danny McBride and his Rough House Pictures.

According to the trade, the show will have its stars portraying the descendants of the show’s original heroes, “now scattered around the world, who team up for a global treasure hunt.”

The original series ran from 1961-1971 on CBS, and starred Bob Crane as wily pilot Col. Robert Hogan.  It also featured Werner Klemperer, who won an Emmy for playing the clueless Col. Klink, and future Family Feud host Richard Dawson.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Selena Gomez producing Netflix docu-series on immigration

No Comments

ABC Image Group LA(LOS ANGELES) — Selena Gomez has lined up another producing credit at Netflix.

After producing 13 Reasons Why for the streaming service, the singer has announced she will be executive producing the new Netflix documentary series Living Undocumented.

The project tackles the complex U.S. immigration system and follows eight undocumented families as they face potential deportation.

“I chose to produce this series, Living Undocumented, because over the past few years, the word ‘immigrant’ has seemingly become a negative word,” Selena says in a statement.

“My hope is that the series can shed light on what it’s like to live in this country as an undocumented immigrant firsthand, from the courageous people who have chosen to share their stories.”

On Instagram, Selena wrote, “The immigration issue is more complex than one administration, one law or the story you hear about on the news. These are real people in your community, your neighbors, your friends – they are all part of the country we call home. I can’t wait for you guys to see this and hope it impacts you like it impacted me.”

The six-episode series debuts October 2.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

%d bloggers like this: