Home

TTR News Center

Road rage suspect arrested after shooting ignites fireworks, burns family

No Comments National News

KTRK-TV(HOUSTON) — The suspect in a road rage shooting that ignited fireworks inside a family’s car, causing serious burns, has surrendered to police.

Houston County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez announced on Sunday evening that Bayron J. Rivera turned himself in to police in connection with the incident. The 18-year-old will be charged with four counts of aggravated assault for the Fourth of July shooting.

Rivera allegedly got into an argument with the family’s father, who was the driver of a truck, in Harris County, outside of Houston on Thursday. The two pulled into a gas station, where the other driver pulled out a gun, according to police. The father tried to drive away, but Rivera allegedly opened fire on the truck, igniting fireworks that were in the back of the vehicle.

The incident took place at about 9:30 p.m. on the night of the Fourth of July, right after the family had gone to buy fireworks at a stand, authorities said.

“He supposedly cut him off and then once that happened, that’s when the dude started shooting,” eyewitness Desmond David told Houston ABC station KTRK-TV.

Video of the incident shows the entire truck was engulfed in flames, as fireworks exploded from the vehicle.

Good Samaritans helped to pull the family from the car, while the suspect took off, triggering a three-day search.

The parents and two children all suffered serious burns in the incident. The children, ages 1 and 2, were airlifted to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, and are in critical condition, according to authorities. The parents are also still in the hospital.

There had been a $5,000 reward offered for information leading to the suspect’s arrest.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Couple claims they gave birth to other couples' babies after IVF mix-up: Lawsuit

No Comments National News

ktsimage/iStock(NEW YORK) — A New York couple filed a federal lawsuit against a fertility clinic claiming they gave birth to twins that were not biologically theirs.

The couple said they spent more than $100,000 on treatment and other expenses at CHA Fertility Center in Los Angeles after countless attempts to conceive a child, but they ended up giving birth to twins that belonged to two other couples, according to a lawsuit.

Identified in court papers only as Y.Z. and A.P., the couple said they were shocked in March when they gave birth and realized that the children weren’t of Asian descent, as they are. DNA testing eventually proved that the twins, both boys, weren’t related to them or each other, the lawsuit states.

The twins actually belonged to two other couples who were also clients of the hospital. Y.Z. and A.P., who married in 2012, said they were required to give up custody, “thus suffering the loss of two children,” according to the lawsuit.

Now, they’re seeking compensatory damages, accusing the hospital of medical malpractice, negligence, breach of contract and more than a dozen other counts.

They said they “suffered significant and permanent injuries for which they will not recover.”

A.P., the mother, “underwent physical and emotional injuries for which she is still under the treatment of medical providers and will continue to be in the future,” the suit said.

The hospital hasn’t offered details on what may have happened to their embryos that were supposed to be transferred, according to the lawsuit.

CHA Fertility Center did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

'Spider-Man: Far from Home' scores record $185 million six-day opening

No Comments Entertainment News

Zendaya and Tom Holland; JoJo Whilden/Sony Pictures EntertainmentMarvel’s Spider-Man: Far from Home delivered the largest six-day opening ever for a Tuesday release, and the 22nd largest six-day opening of all time, earning an estimated $185 million. It grabbed $93.6 million of that between Friday and Sunday.

The sequel to 2017’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, starring Tom Holland, Samuel L. Jackson, Zendaya, Cobie Smulders, Jon Favreau and Marisa Tomei, is already outpacing its predecessor by $30 million after its first six days.  Overseas, where the film debuted last weekend, it’s collected an estimated total of $395 million.

The week’s only other major release, the horror film Midsommar, had the largest opening for an indie film so far this year, with an estimated $6.56 million over the three-day weekend and nearly $11 million since it’s Wednesday premiere. Despite that, it finished just outside the top five, in sixth place.

Disney-Pixar’s Toy Story 4 dropped to second place in its third week of release, delivering an estimated $34.4 million. That brings its earnings stateside to $306.6 million. Its worldwide totals, following an estimated $43 million weekend overseas, now stand at around $650 million.

The romantic comedy Yesterday earned an estimated $10.75 for a third-place finish, with the horror flick Annaballe Comes Home landing in fourth place with an estimated $9.75 million.

Aladdin collected an estimated $7.6 million over the weekend, lifting its domestic earnings to upwards of $320 million. Overseas, Disney’s live-action remake of the 1992 animated classic grabbed an estimated $16.2 million, bringing its worldwide tally to over $921 million.  That makes it the third biggest film of 2019 domestically and the top-grossing non-Marvel movie this year, period.

Marvel and Pixar are owned by Disney, parent company of ABC News.

In limited release, the documentary Marianne & Leonard brought in an estimated $44,311 from four theaters.

Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated domestic box office earnings:

1. Spider-Man: Far from Home, $93.6 million
2. Toy Story 4, $34.4 million
3. Yesterday, $10.75 million
4. Annabelle Comes Home, $9.75 million
5. Aladdin, $7.6 million
6. Midsommar, $6.56 million
7. The Secret Life of Pets 2, $4.76 million
8. Men In Black International, $3.6 million
9. Avengers: Endgame, $3.1 million
10. Rocketman, $2.775 million

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. 

Jason Aldean ponders a world without albums: "That just sounds like it sucks to me"

No Comments Country Music News

BBR Both Blake Shelton and Sheryl Crow have revealed they’re no longer focused on albums as their main way to deliver music, since it seems fans have more of an appetite for singles in the digital age.

But ACM Entertainer of the Decade Jason Aldean hopes to keep making full albums as long as he can.

“I’ll make ’em as long as I feel like people are buying ’em,” he says candidly. “If it ever gets to a point…where…we’re spending all this time to make a record that nobody really cares about, and all they really want to hear is the singles… I think you have to re re-evaluate a little bit.” 

In the days when new music came out earlier in the week instead of on Fridays, there was no question where Jason would be.

“I couldn’t wait to go every Tuesday to the record store… and buy whatever was out,” the Georgia native recalls, “and go home and look at the liner notes…”

“I just was wired like that,” he adds. “That was just my age group of people and that’s how we did it.”

Jason admits he has a hard time thinking about making music without recording full albums.

“I enjoy gettin’ in the studio, gettin’ in a groove, when you’re in there cutting eight songs in two days,” he explains. “And you get locked in the stuff. And I don’t know how you do that [otherwise].”

“You go in every few months and cut one song?” he asks. “That just sounds like it sucks to me. That’s not the way I would like to make music. It’s not why I got into it.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

%d bloggers like this: