Home

TTR News Center

Former NFL tight end Kellen Winslow convicted of rape, indecent exposure

No Comments

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images(SAN DIEGO) — Kellen Winslow was expected to be a star in the NFL when he was drafted sixth overall in 2004. Long since proven to be an all-time bust, the former tight end was convicted of rape, indecent exposure and lewd conduct in a San Diego courtroom on Monday.

Winslow, the son of NFL Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow Sr., was charged with raping three women and exposing himself to two others. The jury convicted him of raping a woman at his home last year, but deadlocked on the two other rape charges. He was also convicted of indecent exposure and lewd conduct with two women.

He was found not guilty of one count of another lewd act.

Winslow was facing 12 charges in total, with verdicts rendered in four of the 12 cases.

The jury is expected to continue deliberations on the other eight charges, including an alleged rape of a homeless woman last year and of a 17-year-old girl in 2003, on Tuesday.

Defense lawyers argued during the trial that all instances of sex were consensual, and even used a defense that he repeatedly cheated on his wife throughout their marriage.

All five women testified in the case against Winslow, outlining their experiences with Winslow and the allegations they made.

Winslow did not take the stand to defend himself during the nine-day trial.

He was facing life in prison if convicted of all 12 charges.

The University of Miami product was drafted sixth in the 2004 NFL draft by the Cleveland Browns, ahead of future stars like Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, New England Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork and Los Angeles Rams running back Steven Jackson. But Winslow broke his leg on onside kick coverage just two games into his rookie season.

A year later, he tore his ACL while attempting motorcycle stunts in an Ohio parking lot and missed the 2005 season.

Finally healthy, Winslow’s best season came in 2007 when he finished with 82 catches for 1,106 yards and five touchdowns. He missed much of 2008 with a staph infection, the second in his tenure with the Browns, and was eventually traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who locked him up to a six-year, $36 million deal.

He also had unsuccessful seasons with the Patriots and New York Jets before his career ended after the 2013-14 season.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Scoreboard roundup — 6/10/19

No Comments

iStock(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Monday’s sports events:

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

INTERLEAGUE

Washington 12 Chi White Sox 1
LA Angels 5 LA Dodgers 3
NY Mets at NY Yankees 7:05 p.m., postponed

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Texas 4 Boston 3, 11 Innings
Tampa Bay 6 Oakland 2

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Arizona 13 Philadelphia 8
St. Louis 4 Miami 1
Atlanta 13 Pittsburgh 7
Colorado 6 Chi Cubs 5

NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION PLAYOFFS
THE NBA FINALS, GAME 5

Golden State 106 Toronto 105 (Toronto leads series 3-2)

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Santa Anita to continue racing because reforms are 'working,' spokesman says

No Comments

Mario Tama/Getty Images)(LOS ANGELES) — Santa Anita Park will not heed the California Horse Racing Board’s recommendation to suspend racing in the wake of two more horse deaths over the weekend because the reforms that were enacted earlier in the year appear to be effective, according to a spokesman.

In March, the park announced a series of changes surrounding horse safety, including a “zero tolerance” policy for the use of medication on racing day in the wake of more than two dozen horse deaths since December 2018.

The California Horse Racing Board further voted to limit whips on racing day as well, a rule that applies to Santa Anita.

After the reforms took place, the park saw up to seven weeks of “clean racing,” Stefan Friedman, spokesman for The Stronach Group, a company that owns the park, told ABC News. In addition, the track has seen 50% fewer catastrophic breakdowns during racing and 84% fewer catastrophic incidents during training, Friedman said.

There were no horse fatalities between April 1 to May 18, when the death toll remained at 23, Santa Anita said in a statement last month. But after that time, the number of horses dying began to climb once again.

On Sunday, 3-year-old Truffalino collapsed in the final stages of the third race and died of a heart attack, Friedman said. The day before, 4-year-old Formal Dude broke down while nearing the finish line in the 10th race and was euthanized, he said.

A total of 29 horses have died at Santa Anita since the start of the racing season.

The chairman, vice chairman and executive director of the California Horse Racing Board recommended on Saturday that Santa Anita suspend racing for the seven remaining race days of 2019, which lasts until June 23, but continue training during that time period, according to a statement from Mike Marten, the board’s public information officer.

“It is our understanding that Santa Anita management, after consultation with certain other industry stakeholders, believes that for a variety of reasons, the future of California racing is best served by continuing to race,” the California Horse Racing Board said in a statement over the weekend.

Under current California law, the board does not have the authority to suspend a race meet or remove race dates without the approval of the race track operator or without holding a public meeting with 10 days’ notice, Marten said.

 Santa Anita’s decision to stay open was made after and “extensive consultation” among the The Stronach Group, the Thoroughbred Owners of California and California Thoroughbred Trainers, according to a joint statement from those organizations.

Friedman described the most recent horse deaths as “really devastating,” adding that the decision to continue racing “was not made lightly.” The park and the California Horse Racing Board have a “really good relationship,” Friedman added.

“The reforms that we instituted are working,” Friedman said. “Do we have a lot more work to do? Absolutely. And everyone at this track, whether it’s the Stronach Group or the horsemen or the trainers or the jockeys, are fully on board and committed to the goal of having zero catastrophic breakdowns.”

In April, PETA Senior Vice President Kathy Guillermo told ABC News that the animal rights advocacy group supported the new rules that Santa Anita put into place, calling them the “first step in what needs to be an overhaul in racing nationwide.”

“The reason that we take that perspective is that the broken bones in California are happening all over the country,” Guillermo said, referring to horse injuries.

Friedman argued that if Santa Anita were to shut down the track, it would be a “terrible signal to everyone that these reforms were ineffective, and that’s just not correct.”

“Secondly…to shut down racing and essentially shut down training, you’re taking about closing down a facility and the horses,” Friedman said. “There’s no place for them to go in this juncture in California,” he added.

Nearly 2,000 horses live on site and hundreds of Santa Anita employees live and work on site as well, Friedman said.

Guillermo said in a statement Monday that what’s happening at Santa Anita is a “microcosm of what’s happening in racing nationally: broken bones, death and public outrage.”

“Their bodies litter tracks in New York, Kentucky, Florida, Texas and many other states,” she said, adding that PETA recently called for tracks nationwide to suspend racing until they can implement “long-needed and significant changes that will help end the cruelty and protect horses.”

Santa Anita Park will host the 2019 Breeders’ Cup world championships on Nov. 1 and 2.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Durant practices ahead of NBA Finals Game 5

No Comments

Anthony Causi / ESPN Images(TORONTO) — The Toronto Raptors are one win away from their first NBA title but the Golden State Warriors are hopeful that one of their star players could return to the court Monday and turn the tide.

Warriors forward Kevin Durant hasn’t played since straining his right calf during the Western Conference semifinals. But on Sunday, he practiced for the first time in a month since suffering the injury.

Ahead of Monday night’s Game 5 in Toronto, Durant is listed as questionable.

Tip off is at 9 p.m. ET. The Raptors lead the NBA Finals 3-1.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Red Sox legend David Ortiz shot at club in Dominican Republic, father says

No Comments

Christian Petersen/Getty Images(SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic) — Boston Red Sox legend David Ortiz was shot at a nightclub in the Dominican Republic late Sunday, according to his father.

The bullet entered Ortiz’s back and exited through his abdomen, according to Ortiz’s father, Leo, who spoke to reporters outside the hospital in Santo Domingo where he is being treated. His father said Ortiz was out of surgery just after midnight and he is in stable condition.

No organs were compromised, according to his father.

Leo Ortiz happily told reporters outside the hospital, in Spanish, “Big Papi will be around for a long time.”

An investigation into the shooting has been opened, but police said in a brief statement they do not believe the motive was robbery.

The suspect in the shooting was immediately roughed up by onlookers and taken to the hospital for treatment. He was treated and released into police custody.

“They called to tell me that David is injured and that they took him to a medical center, but they did not tell me how he is or exactly where he was transferred,” Leo Ortiz told ESPN via telephone earlier in the evening from the Dominican Republic.

“At the moment, everything is confusing. I’m trying to find out where they took my son,” Ortiz’s father added.

The slugger was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and is not just one of the biggest baseball players in the country’s rich history of the sport, but one of its most well-known celebrities overall.

The shooting took place at Dial Bar and Lounge, a nightclub in the nation’s capital, according to ESPN. CCTV footage acquired by ABC News shows a crowded bar with people scattering after the shots are fired and Ortiz, sitting at the bar, appearing to grab his side.

“Our thoughts are with David Ortiz, who is reportedly hospitalized after being shot in his hometown of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic,” MLB tweeted on its official account.

The Red Sox released a statement of their own later in the evening, saying, “Late last night we were made aware of an incident involving David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. David’s family has confirmed that he sustained a gunshot wound to the lower back/abdominal region. David is being treated at Clinica Abel Gonzalez in Santo Domingo where he is recovering after surgery.”

“We have offered David’s family all available resources to aid his recovery and will continue to keep them in our hearts,” the statement continued.

Ortiz, 43, won three World Series — in 2004, 2007 and 2013 — and was one of the biggest pieces of breaking the so-called curse of the Boston Red Sox.

Lovingly known as “Big Papi,” he was a 10-time All-Star, seven-time Silver Slugger winner and finished in the top 5 in MVP voting five times. He was also the World Series MVP in 2013.

Hall of Fame pitcher Pedro Martinez, a legend in the Dominican Republic in his own right, and a former teammate with Ortiz on the 2004 champion Red Sox, tweeted, “I’m at peace knowing you out of danger, you a strong man Compai, can’t wait to hear your voice.”

Ortiz walked away from baseball in 2016, still at the top of his game. He hit .315 and led the league in doubles and runs batted in, but held fast in his decision to walk away as he had announced months earlier.

He finished his career with 541 career home runs, 17th all-time, and was eighth all-time in extra-base hits (1,192) and 12th all-time in doubles (632).

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

%d bloggers like this: