Home

TTR News Center

TTR Easter Weekend Weather Update

No Comments

The flood warning continues for the following rivers in Texas.

San Marcos River below Luling Affecting Caldwell, and Gonzales Counties;
Guadalupe River at Gonzales;
Guadalupe River at Victoria affecting Victoria County;
Guadalupe River near Bloomington affecting Calhoun, Refugio, and Victoria Counties.

All persons with interests along the river should monitor the latest forecasts, and be prepared to take necessary
precautions to protect life and property. River stage forecasts are based on observed rainfall along with predicted rain for the next 12 hours. If actual rainfall varies from forecast values, forecast river stages will vary. Do not drive automobiles through flooded areas. Remember, 18 inches of water or less can carry away most vehicles, including trucks. If you see flood waters or come upon a flooded roadway, remember to turn around and do not drown.

For the latest river stages and forecasts visit www.weather.gov/ewx.

Mostly sunny skies Friday and Saturday turn partly to mostly cloudy as moisture increases Sunday through Tuesday. The dryline brings slight chances of showers and thunderstorms to Val Verde County and the Edwards Plateau on Monday. The dryline and a cold front bring low chances of showers and thunderstorms to areas east of US Highway 83 on Tuesday. Near normal temperatures on Friday become above normal for Saturday through Tuesday.


Tonight:
Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 50s. West winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the north after midnight.

Good Friday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear. Lows in the mid-50s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday Night: Clear before midnight then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.

Easter Sunday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy before midnight then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid-60s.


The death of Stephon Clark: What we know about the Sacramento police shooting

No Comments

By Michael Dobuski

iStock/Thinkstock(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) — Authorities are still investigating the police shooting of Stephon Clark, the unarmed 22-year-old black man who was killed by police in his grandmother’s Sacramento backyard earlier this month.

The shooting has sparked widespread protests in California and New York and responses from Black Lives Matter, the NAACP and the Sacramento Kings basketball team.

Here’s what we know about the shooting, according to information released by police:

  • Two officers fired a total of 20 shots at Clark on March 18. The officers were responding to a 911 call reporting someone breaking car windows in the 7500 block of 29th street.
  • A Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department helicopter also responded to the 911 call.
  • Deputies in the helicopter reported seeing a man armed with a “tool bar” in a nearby backyard and began directing the ground officers to that location.
  • Police said officers believed Clark the object was a gun and fired, “fearing for their safety.” No gun was found at the scene. Police said the object was a cellphone. It was found near Clark’s body and taken into evidence.
  • Each of the two officers involved in the shooting fired 10 shots, for a total of 20 shots fired, police say.
  • The Sacramento Police Department released the body camera footage and helicopter footage three days after the shooting.
  • California’s attorney general and the police department are conducting an investigation into what happened that night.
  • The Clark family has hired Benjamin Crump, a prominent civil rights attorney who has worked the families of police shooting victims Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown and Tamir Rice.
  • At his press conference, Crump asked for an independent autopsy to be conducted.
  • The Sacramento Chapter of Black Lives Matter has had protests all week for Stephon Clark, with another one scheduled this afternoon.
  • One demonstration outside of Golden 1 Center, where the Sacramento Kings play, last week caused a lengthy delay in a scheduled game and prevented fans from entering the arena.
  • Kings players honored Stephon Clark before their game against the Boston Celtics on March 25, wearing T-shirts that read “ACCOUNTABILITY. WE ARE ONE.” On the back, there was a hashtag — #StephonClark –
  • During a timeout, a unified public service announcement from Kings and Celtics players played on the JumboTron at Gold 1 Center in Sacramento.
  • Many mourners were in attendance at the wake on Wednesday and more are expected for the funeral this afternoon.
  • The Rev. Al Sharpton will deliver the eulogy at today’s funeral.

Here’s what we don’t know about the shooting:

  • It’s unclear how many of the 20 shots hit Clark
  • It hasn’t been determined where the shots his Clark on his body.
  • It’s unclear if Clark was responsible for the break-ins that were reported that night.
  • According to the police report, authorities canvassed the neighborhood where the shooting happened and identified at least three vehicles with damages.
  • The names of the officers have not been officially released by the police department due to death threats the officers have received.
  • Shortly after the shooting both officers cut off the audio on their body cameras, for unknown reasons.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Mystery deepens in search for 15-year-old whose photo went viral during the 2014 Ferguson protests

No Comments

By Michael Dobuski

iStock/Thinkstock(PORTLAND, Ore.) — Search and rescue crews are continuing to scour the Northern California coast for 15-year-old Devonte Hart — the boy seen hugging a police officer in a 2014 viral photo during the Ferguson protests — and his two siblings as the mystery into what caused the horrific accident that caused the SUV to drive off a cliff deepens.

At first glance, a photo released by the California Highway Patrol on Tuesday appears to be picturesque, showing a helicopter as it scours over a cliff lining the Pacific Ocean near the city of Mendocino.

But a closer look at the image reveals the central piece of evidence to the deadly crash: an overturned 2003 GMC Yukon XL, whose roof appears to be crushed from landing on the rocks water below when it rolled off the cliff sometime on Monday.

Five people have been confirmed dead from the crash, including Devonte Hart’s parents, Jennifer Hart and Sarah Hart, and three of his siblings, Markis Hart, 19, and Jeremiah and Abigail Hart, both 14.

But crews are no closer in finding Devonte Hart and two other siblings who were believed to be in the car, 16-year-old Hannah Hart and 12-year-old Sierra Hart, the CHP announced Thursday.

More information about the family’s past has begun to surface as the search carries on.

A 2010 complaint filed in Douglas County, Minnesota, reveals that one of the parents — Sarah Hart — was charged with malicious punishment of a child and domestic assault after a 6-year-old child showed a teacher bruises on her stomach and back. Court documents show that Sarah Hart was convicted on the domestic assault charge, but the charge of malicious punishment of a child was dropped.

More recently, neighbors in the Portland suburb of Woodland, Washington, where the family lived, told The Oregonian that Devonte Hart had come to their house several times asking for food.

Devonte Hart told neighbors Bruce and Dana DeKalb that his parents withheld food as a form of punishment and asked them to leave it by the fence so his parents wouldn’t find out, the newspaper reported. He was the adoptive son of Jennifer hart and Sarah Hart, according to ABC Portland affiliate KATU.

Last week, Child Protective Services in Washington received a call about neglect and abuse by Harts, spokeswoman Norah West said in a press conference today. The agency attempted to make contact with the family in person on Friday, March 23 as well as on Monday and Tuesday, West said.

CPS had no prior history with the family prior to the phone call made to them last week, West said.

California authorities reiterated Thursday that they do not believe the crash was intentional.

A search of the family home led investigators to believe the family had embarked on just a short trip because many of their belongings, as well as their pet cat, chicks and ducks, were still at the home. Nothing was out of ordinary in the home, and there were no signs of violence, officials said.

All six children were believed to have been in the car since the family was known to travel together and no other family members have come forward with knowledge of the missing teens’ whereabouts, according to the CHP.

Investigators are trying to piece together exactly how and when the car drove off the cliff. By the time first responders arrived on the scene on Monday, the engine was cold.

A photo of Devonte Hart hugging a Portland Police officer as his cheek glistened with tears went viral in 2014 amid national protests over the shooting death of Michael Brown and the failure of a Missouri grand jury to indict the officer who shot him.

The officer, Sgt. Bret Barnum, noticed Devonte Hart carrying a sign that read “Free Hugs,” prompting him to ask if he would “get one of those.” Freelance photographer Johnny Nguyen then caught the moment are the pair hugged.

The image — taken on Nov. 25, 2014 when Devonte Hart was 12 years old — was especially poignant due to the civil unrest at the time over police brutality.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Before vanishing on paddleboard, man who owed $500,000 in child support had 'flamboyant and expensive lifestyle'

No Comments

By Michael Dobuski

Fort Lauderdale Police Department(MIAMI) — The Florida man who mysteriously vanished on a paddleboard into the Atlantic owed $500,000 in child support — yet had been living a “flamboyant and expensive lifestyle,” according to court documents.

Constantine Theoharis — who police say was last seen on March 20 near his Fort Lauderdale home, heading north into the ocean on his paddleboard — had traveled to the Bahamas, Costa Rica and ski resorts, the documents show.

He was living a “flamboyant and expensive lifestyle while ignoring his child support obligations,” according to the court documents, which were filed by Theoharis’ ex-wife, Stacy.

“He is refusing to pay any of his Court-ordered financial obligations,” according to documents filed in Broward County last month. “The severest of sanctions must be imposed against Former Husband, including, incarceration and the imposition of monetary fine.”

Constantine and Stacy Theoharis had been divorced since 2008.

In happier times, the couple married on February 28, 1998. They had two children, who are now 17 and 14 years old.

But nine years after being married, the couple separated, three days before what would have been their ninth wedding anniversary.

According to court documents, the couple separated “in consequence of disputes and irreconcilable differences.”

At the time of the divorce, Theoharis had visitation rights two weekends per month, split holidays with his ex-wife, and had time with his children during the summers.

Court papers from 2008 said he had a “recent substance abuse problem” and was ordered to undergo random drug testing four times per year until 2010.

An affidavit from December said he had not paid any child support after Aug. 6, 2014.

He owes more than $549,000 in child support, according to court records from last month.

Constantine Theoharis does not appear to have an attorney at this time.

Theoharis’ ex-wife and her lawyer declined to comment.

When Theoharis, 52, mysteriously disappeared, a neighbor’s surveillance camera captured him taking off on his paddleboard, according to his brother.

“It’s like the worst dream you could imagine,” his brother told ABC News on Wednesday. “I want answers.”

Theoharis’ cousin, Chris Damian, reported him missing on March 23, telling police he hadn’t heard from Theoharis since March 18 when they spoke on the phone.

According to the police incident report, Damian told the authorities that Theoharis had “been depressed lately and they usually talk by phone daily. … He was depressed over a recent divorce and child support payments but he was not suicidal.”

Damian told police he “thinks that the child support issues could have forced him to leave the U.S. because of pending upcoming court action for nonpayment,” the incident report said.

But police said Damian had “no proof that he took this type of action.”

Damian said it’s unusual for his cousin to not contact anyone in the family for that long, the incident report said.

When Theoharis headed into the ocean on his paddleboard, he left behind his phone, wallet, keys and passport at his house, his brother Rick Theoharis said, which alerted him that “something was way off.”

Rick Theoharis said his brother was very adept in the water and a frequent paddleboarder.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Police sergeant decries death of 1-year-old killed by stray bullet

No Comments

By Michael Dobuski

iStock/Thinkstock(INDIANAPOLIS) — Police in Indianapolis, Indiana are in shock after responding to a shooting early Thursday morning that took the life of a 1-year-old girl.

The shooting happened just before 2 a.m. at a home on the northeast side of the city.

Indianapolis Metro Police Sgt. Chris Wilburn was emotional as he spoke to ABC affiliate WRTV at the scene early this morning.

“There are officers around here saying they are okay, but they’re not, they are not okay, because I’m not okay, the chief is not okay. This hurts, its hurt deeply,” said Wilburn.

Police said at least 12 people were inside the home, including another baby, when someone fired shots into the home from the street. Most of the people inside were family members.

Police have not released a motive for the shooting but there are reports it could stem from an argument over social media.

“Somebody targeted this home and you know who did that and that’s who I’m talking to and so I’m asking you very candidly, do what’s right, Wilburn added.

A 19-year-old woman was also shot but police said she is expected to recover.

Wilburn said both state and federal law enforcement will be after the person responsible. “This is tough,” he said, “this is a tough one.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

%d bloggers like this: