Home

TTR News Center

Rescuer describes 'emotional moment' when 4 crew members emerged from capsized cargo ship

No Comments

U.S. Coast Guard(BRUNSWICK, Ga.) — One of the rescuers who helped get four crew members out of the Golden Ray, the cargo ship that capsized and caught fire off the coast of Georgia on Sunday, described the harrowing attempt to free the trapped men.

Sean Cogan, a rope access supervisor for Elevated Safety, a company that trains and helps people rappel on ropes, was appointed the rescue team leader for salvage company Defiant Marine, he told ABC News.

Cogan, who typically helps engineers get to hard-to-access places like bridges for inspection, was part of the team that first heard tapping noises coming from the Golden Ray as they rappelled over the side of the ship.

He knew “the clock was ticking” for the men as soon as he got to St. Simons Sound, off the coast of Brunswick, Georgia, he said.

The first priority was to drill a small hole big enough to shake the men’s hands, hand them bottles of water, flashlights and a device to communicate on and assure them that help was on the way, Cogan said.

It was about 120 degrees where rescue teams were working outside the ship and even hotter inside, Coast Guard Capt. John Reed told reporters on Monday.

Once teams drilled the first half-inch hole to get an air monitor and airflow into the ship, Cogan could feel the hot air spilling from inside, he said, adding that it felt like they were drilling into a thermal oven.

“With each hole, I think it just got more and more, in terms of intensified focus, of, ‘We’ve got to finish this,'” he said.

Three of the crew members trapped inside were grouped together, while the fourth was trapped behind a glass enclosure in the engineering room, Reed said.

They could hear each other, but could not access each other, Cogan said, adding that the “first thing” the three shipmates asked for was a set of tools so they could help free him, Cogan said.

“Those guys that were in that ship are probably the strongest in terms of mental fortitude of anything I’ve seen,” he said.

Once a larger hole was drilled, the first two crew members were able to climb out with little assistance, but Cogan and others had to go in and help the third, he said. At that point, the crew had been stuck inside the ship for nearly 34 hours.

Cogan said the wrecked vessel was not a “pleasant environment to be in.” Everything inside had shifted, and the ship had been “baking” under the sun.

Cogan described the moment after they recovered the fourth crew member as “very emotional.”

“I mean, to see two arms, two legs and a smile coming up the ladder at you, that’s a surprise,” he said.

It is unclear what caused the ship, which was carrying vehicles on its way to Baltimore, to catch fire and list on its side.

The operation has now transitioned to salvage and mitigating any possible pollution, Coast Guard officials said at a press conference Tuesday.

The Port of Brunswick, one of the busiest in the nation, remains closed, but the Coast Guard hopes to open it to limited commercial traffic by Thursday, officials said.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Brad Paisley could be a "Fish Out of Water" in new Amazon comedy

No Comments

ABC/Image Group LABrad Paisley has a new half-hour comedy in the works at Amazon, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The West Virginia native would both star in and executive produce Fish Out of Water, which follows a fictionalized version of Brad as he attempts to keep his simple fishing show from going off the rails.

Fish Out of Water is said to be similar in tone to HBO’s The Larry Sanders Show, which followed comedian Garry Shandling as he worked on a fictional late-night talk show.

The idea for the series sparked a bidding war, which resulted in Amazon ordering a script. Once the script is written and potentially approved, a pilot would typically be shot, after which Amazon could order a season of the show.  

Comedian Will Arnett is also one of the project’s executive producers.

Back in 2017, Brad hosted his own comedy special, Brad Paisley’s Comedy Rodeo, for Netflix.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Husband and wife Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker reuniting on Broadway for 'Plaza Suite'

No Comments

ABC/Heidi Gutman(NEW YORK) — Real-life married couple Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker will reunite — on Broadway, that is — for the first time in 24 years, in a revival of Neil Simon’s Plaza Suite.

The run is set for 17 weeks; previews begin March 13, 2020, and opening night is slated for  April 13 at New York City’s Hudson Theatre.

The pair haven’t hit the boards on the Great White Way together since 1995’s How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying — and Parker is psyched.

“A classic American comedy A legendary playwright An actor whom I get to love onstage and off 2 actors, 6 roles,” she posted to Instagram, along with a black and white photo of herself and Broderick. “Neil Simon’s comedy about love, marriage, children and all the absurdity and heartbreak that can happen in room 719.”

She added, “I feel I’ve waited a lifetime.”

Broderick won a Tony Award for his performance in Neil Simon’s Brighton Beach Memoirs; he also appeared in Simon’s Biloxi Blues and in a Broadway revival of Simon’s The Odd Couple, opposite Nathan Lane. 

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

10 new sex abuse lawsuits against Catholic diocese in Brooklyn amid Child Victims Act window

No Comments

benstevens/iStock(NEW YORK) — The number of people suing the Catholic dioceses in New York over abuse they allegedly suffered as children continues to grow.

Ten new lawsuits were filed on Monday, adding to the list of cases that have mounted against the diocese of Brooklyn in the wake of New York’s Child Victim’s Act, a new law that took effect Aug. 14 and allows a one-year window for victims to file civil claims in connection to child abuse no matter the statute of limitations.

The 10 lawsuits filed Monday are being handled by the law firm of Jeff Anderson and Associates. Mike Reck, an attorney for the firm, told ABC News that they have filed nearly 300 lawsuits across New York state since the Child Victims Act window opened.

The alleged abuse detailed in the new lawsuits spans from 1952 to 1982, and involves priests, brothers and a Catholic school teacher. Of the 11 men accused in the suits, seven are believed to be dead, and the whereabouts of the four remaining men are unknown.

Adriana Rodriguez, the press secretary for the diocese of Brooklyn, said that they work “to eradicate sexual abuse every day.”

“Sexual abuse of a minor is a horrendous crime that has hurt children in our Church and in society as a whole. The Diocese of Brooklyn takes all allegations of sexual abuse seriously. On the ten new cases filed, we are just learning about them and need to carefully review the allegations made in these lawsuits,” Rodriguez said in a statement.

She noted that four of the priests named in the lawsuits have been previously included in a list issued by the diocese that names credibly accused priests.

“The Diocese of Brooklyn has apologized to victims who have suffered due to sexual abuse by clergy. And we have instituted the most aggressive policies when it comes to child protection. The Diocese conducts initial and ongoing background checks of all employees and volunteers and requires age-appropriate sexual abuse awareness training for children and any adults who work with children,” Rodriguez said in the statement.

The number of lawsuits that will inevitably be filed against institutions like the Catholic Church and others is expected to grow during the window allowed by the new law

Even after the one year window expires, many survivors of alleged child sexual abuse will still be able to seek justice under the Child Victims Act. Civil suits can now be filed until the alleged victim turns 55 years old, up from the current 23. And the state’s statute of limitations on criminal charges against alleged child sexual abusers has been expanded to until their victims turn 28 in certain cases, rather than 23.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Brantley Gilbert and wife Amber welcome their daughter, Braylen Hendrix

No Comments

ABC/Image Group LABrantley Gilbert’s second child — a girl he and wife Amber named Braylen Hendrix — has arrived.

Braylen was born Monday at 1:18 p.m. ET at Piedmont Hospital in Athens, Georgia, weighing 6 pounds, 7 ounces, and measuring 19-and-a-half inches long.

“It’s such a blessing for us to welcome Braylen and both momma and baby girl are doing great,” Brantley tells People.

You can also check out some of Braylen’s first photos via People as well. 

Braylen’s big brother, Barrett Hardy-Clay, will turn two in November.

Brantley’s new little girl arrives a little less than a month before the release of his next album, Fire & Brimstone, which is set to be released October 4. The album includes a song Brantley wrote about being a dad, called “Man That Hung the Moon.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

%d bloggers like this: