Home

TTR News Center

David Spade speaks out after sister-in-law Kate Spade's apparent suicide: "I still can't believe it"

No Comments

By Music News Group

ABC(NEW YORK) — When Kate Spade was found in dead in her apartment Tuesday from an apparent suicide, she left behind grieving family members — including her famous brother-in-law, comedian David Spade, who paid tribute to the successful designer via social media.

In an Instagram post, the former Saturday Night Live performer posted a picture of himself with Kate at a holiday gathering.

“Fuzzy picture but I love it. Kate and I during Christmas family photos. We had so much fun that day. She was so sharp and quick on her feet. She could make me laugh so hard,” Spade wrote.

He added, “I still can’t believe it. It’s a rough world out there people, try to hang on.”

David also posted a different picture on Twitter, complimenting Kate’s comedic personality again.

“Katy at my book signing. I love this pic of her. So pretty. I don’t think everyone knew how f***ing funny she was,” he wrote.

The designer’s older sister, Reta Saffo, told the Kansas City Star that Kate was struggling with mental illness and self-medicating with alcohol. Saffo insists she attempted to get Kate professional help.

“After numerous attempts, I finally let go,” Saffo told the newspaper. “Sometimes you simply cannot save people from themselves! One of the last things she said to me was, ‘Reta, I know you hate funerals and don’t attend them, but for me would you please come to mine. I know she perhaps had a plan, but she insisted she did not.”

Kate also left behind her husband, Andy, and 13-year-old daughter, Frances. In a statement, the family said, “We are all devastated by today’s tragedy. We loved Kate dearly and will miss her terribly. We would ask that our privacy be respected as we grieve during this very difficult time.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Entertainment News

      

Milwaukee Common Council investigating why police withheld different Sterling Brown arrest videos

No Comments

By KT

WISN-TV(MILWAUKEE) — The Milwaukee Common Council has launched an investigation after the police department apparently withheld different body-camera footage of Sterling Brown’s January arrest that top city officials didn’t see until it aired on television.

According to Council President Ashanti Hamilton, the council and Mayor Tom Barrett didn’t see the newly released videos of the arrest, obtained by ABC affiliate WISN-TV.

“I think it’s clear that the videos didn’t show the police department in the best light,” Hamilton told ABC News. “I don’t know if there were any rule violations or procedural violations in it.”

Barrett told WISN-TV he wants to know why police didn’t show him all the footage.

“They need to be better trained and they need to change the way they operate,” Barrett told WISN-TV. “They have to learn that this is going to be something that’s going to be released to the public and they should do it all at once.”

Last month, the Milwaukee Police Department released one version of the body-camera video depicting the night of the arrest.

Brown walked out of a Milwaukee Walgreens around 2 a.m. on Jan. 26 toward the parking lot and was confronted by officers who asked him why he parked horizontally across two handicapped spots.

The officers repeatedly tell Brown to back up and one of them says, “I will do what I want all right? I own this right here.”

Other officers arrived on the scene and can be seen talking to Brown near his vehicle when one of the officers shouts for Brown to take his hands out of his pockets.

A scuffle breaks out and an officer yells, “Taser! Taser! Taser!” Brown can be heard moaning on the ground.

After Brown was brought to the ground and hit with one of the officer’s stun guns, they continued to stand around him even though he was handcuffed.

In new video of the incident, officers can be heard expressing concern among themselves about a potential backlash from the arrest.

“The bureau is coming out for this? … We’re trying to protect ourselves because he plays for the Bucks, and if he makes a complaint, it’s going to be a [expletive] and then any little [expletive] thing that goes wrong is going to be, ‘Ooh, the Milwaukee Police Department is all racist,” the officer said sarcastically.

In another one of the videos, officers can be heard asking Brown — who is lying prone on the ground after being hit with the stun gun — if he plays for the Bucks, and Brown responds that he must look familiar to them.

In the end, Brown was not charged with anything and was issued a parking violation.

Brown’s representatives said he plans to file a civil lawsuit against the Milwaukee Police Department.

Milwaukee Police Chief Alfonso Morales said at a news conference May 23 that the officers involved “acted inappropriately” and they all received suspensions.

Hamilton said that the decision to investigate came after meeting with the police department yesterday. They’ll be looking at all activity from the night of the arrest and decide if what, if any, “remedies” can be implemented in the future.

“I think we needed to create a platform of transparency,” Hamilton said. “The public wants to hear and see everything associated with this. It’s an important conversation and we need to try and tackle it.”

Barrett released a statement later on Tuesday that read: “I’m very proud of the fact that Milwaukee was and continues to be a leader in the use of body worn cameras. What we need to do now is conduct an analysis of best practices as to the release of the video.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Sports News

      

LeBron James says neither the Cavs nor Warriors will go to the White House

No Comments

By KT

NBA.com(CLEVELAND) — President Donald Trump can save himself the effort of inviting the winning NBA team to the White House this summer, according to LeBron James.

The star of the Cleveland Cavaliers shared his thoughts while reacting to the news that the president withdrew his invitation for the Philadelphia Eagles, the Super Bowl champions, to meet him at the White House. The Cavaliers are currently facing the Golden State Warriors for the NBA championship title.

“It’s typical of him,” James said of Trump. “I’m not surprised. I mean, no matter who wins this series, no one wants the invite anyway.”

“It won’t be Golden State or Cleveland going,” he added.

ESPN NBA reporter Chris Haynes tweeted out a response from Stephen Curry, Golden State’s point guard, noting that he agreed with James.

James said the hostility between Trump and pro sports players will likely continue.

“I think as long as he’s in office, the communication and things like that it’s going to continue to happen,” he said.

He continued, “You know, it’s a lot of things that we believe in as Americans that we don’t feel you know, that he’s for. It’s a lot of people that believe that he’s not for the people or doing things that’s right by the people so that’s not surprising you know, hearing the news today with the Eagles. But I think more importantly we shouldn’t – we Americans and especially people in Philadelphia shouldn’t let that news take away from what that unbelievable team did and accomplished with all those players did to sacrifice each and every Sunday.”

After the Warriors won the NBA Playoffs in 2017, Curry publicly said that he didn’t want to go to the White House celebration, which is a tradition after major sports championships. Though the formal invitation had not been offered yet, Trump tweeted out that Curry’s invitation was withdrawn because he was “hesitating.”

James stood by Curry then too.

“U bum @StephenCurry30 already said he ain’t going! So therefore ain’t no invite. Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!” James wrote on Twitter the same day.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Sports News

      

Brazilian mother reunites with 14-year-old son 8 months after separation at U.S. border

No Comments

By KT

ABC News(EL PASO, Texas) — A mother and son separated more than eight months ago by immigration officials at the U.S.-Mexico border were reunited at an El Paso, Texas, airport on Tuesday.

Jocelyn, a 31-year-old immigrant from Brazil who asked that her last name not be used, and her 14-year-old son, James, crossed the border near El Paso illegally in August to seek asylum, she told ABC News last week.

Jocelyn smiled the moment she saw saw James descending an airport escalator, walking toward him as he approached the landing.

The mother shed tears of joy as she embraced her son.

James was taken to a facility in Chicago but remained there even after his mother was released from criminal custody three weeks after their apprehensions.

Jocelyn said that when officers took her son away, the look on his face said, “Mom, help me.”

“I didn’t know what was going to happen to us,” she said. “I spent the night crying because I wanted James to be protected, and I didn’t know what was going to happen to him.”

Jocelyn was in U.S. federal criminal custody for almost a month for her misdemeanor charge of entering the country illegally and then spent another six months in an immigration detention facility. She’s since been living in a West Texas shelter run by a non-profit.

James was sent to center in Chicago under the watch of the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement. The two have only been about to talk once a week.

“It’s a terrible thing, the experience we’ve had,” Jocelyn said in Spanish last week.

The Trump administration has argued that under its “zero-tolerance” policy on illegal immigration, families are being separated because parents are breaking the law and need to be punished, and their children can’t be jailed with them.

With the help of lawyers from the American Civil Liberties Union, Jocelyn is suing the government on behalf of herself and hundreds of other families that have been separated, arguing that the government has no legal right to keep families separated once parents have been released from custody without sufficient justification.

A judge has yet to rule in that case.

ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt, who is representing Jocelyn, told ABC News last week that the separating of undocumented family members has increased since the “zero-tolerance” policy was implemented.

“Literally 3-, 4-, 5-year-olds screaming, ‘Please don’t take me away from my mommy,’ and being ripped away,” Gelernt said.

Jocelyn’s attorneys told ABC News that they don’t know exactly why the reunion is finally taking place, since the judge has yet to make a ruling on the lawsuit, but they believe it’s partly because their case garnered so much attention after Jocelyn spoke to ABC News.

In a motion filed last month to dismiss the case, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement argued that such cases “serve the legitimate purpose of allowing the government to carry out its immigration and criminal enforcement role” and that “plaintiffs have not provided any basis to conclude that there is a due process right to family unity that prohibited the separation.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Team Josh or Team Charles? "Younger" star Sutton Foster is Team Liza all the way

No Comments

By Stephen Iervolino

TV Land(NEW YORK) — Buckle up, Younger fans. The season-five premiere of the TV Land comedy is going to be a game changer.

Sutton Foster — who plays Liza, a 40-something woman pretending to be a millennial for the sake of her career in publishing — tells fans to expect the unexpected.

“I feel like the writers totally throw a curve ball that’s unexpected but it’s exciting,” Foster tells ABC Radio. “It’s a great way to start season five and kind of flips the world upside down so now all the characters are starting in a new place.”

While she won’t spill exactly what the twist will be, Foster does say that this season will focus on Liza growing up in a way and “getting real.”

A major part of the series is also the love triangle between Liza, her boss Charles and the much-younger tattoo artist, Josh. So is Foster Team Josh or Team Charles?

“Everyone’s like, ‘What do you think the end game will be?’ Like, who will she end up with?” Foster says. “And I don’t know. The whole reason she went into this and to reinvent her life in her 40s was not to find a man. That was just a wonderful by product of the whole thing.”

“So I’m gonna say Team Liza,” she concludes.

As for whether she’d ever lie about her age like her character, the answer for the 43-year-old Foster is no.

“I have no desire to go backwards,” she says. “I only wanna move forwards. My life has only gotten better the older I’ve gotten.”

Season five of Younger, also starring Hilary Duff and Debi Mazar, airs Tuesday at 10 p.m. on TV Land. Foster’s new album, Take Me to the World, is also out now.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Entertainment News

      

%d bloggers like this: