Home

TTR News Center

Scoreboard roundup -- 6/29/18

No Comments

By SL

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Friday’s sports events:

INTERLEAGUE
Chicago Cubs, 10 Minnesota 6

AMERICAN LEAGUE
L.A. Angels 7, Baltimore 1
N.Y. Yankees 8, Boston 1
Toronto 3, Detroit 2
Tampa Bay 3, Houston 2
Texas 11, Chicago White Sox 3
Oakland 3, Cleveland 1
Seattle 4, Kansas City 1

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Washington 17, Philadelphia 7
Miami 8, N.Y. Mets 2
Milwaukee 8, Cincinnati 2
Atlanta 5, St. Louis 1
San Francisco 2, Arizona 1
Colorado 3, L.A. Dodgers 1
Pittsburgh 6, San Diego 3

WOMEN’S NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
Phoenix 95, Indiana 77
Chicago 103, N.Y. Liberty 99
Minnesota 85, Atlanta 74
Las Vegas 94, L.A. Sparks 78

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Sports News

      

Driver who felt 'guilty' pays parking ticket after 44 years

No Comments

By SL

WNEP-TV(MINERSVILLE, Penn.) — A driver who felt guilty for decades has finally unburdened himself to police. His crime? Not paying a Pennsylvania parking ticket from 1974.

Police Chief Michael Combs in Minersville, Pennsylvania, told ABC affiliate WNEP-TV that he received a letter with a parking ticket and payment in the mail last week.

The note said, “Dear PD, I’ve been carrying this ticket around for 40 plus years. Always intending to pay. Forgive me if I don’t give you my info. With respect, Dave.”

The 44-year-old ticket — for an offense that would carry a $20 fine these days — was at the time for only $2. Combs said the driver paid $5, adding $3 for interest.

“It’s addressed, of course, to the police department, with the return address of, “Feeling guilty, Wayward Road, Anytown, Ca.,” Combs said.

The chief told WNEP-TV the ticket was for a car with Ohio plates. He also said he would like to track down the person who paid the ticket to say, “Thank you.”

“We do appreciate that this individual paid their ticket, and again, we encourage other individuals, if you have an outstanding ticket, please pay them,” the chief said.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Excessive and dangerous heat grips Plains, Midwest and Northeast

No Comments

By SL

ABC News(NEW YORK) — Many of the major cities in the Midwest and Northeast — from Chicago to Washington, D.C. — began a heat wave on Friday. New York City, which missed a 90-degree reading by just one degree, will likely hit the number Saturday to start a trend of its own.

Temperatures will soar well into the 90s across much of the Plains, Midwest and Northeast again on Saturday.

The heat index was 110 degrees and higher on Friday in parts of Illinois and Wisconsin. Pontiac, Illinois, hit a heat index of 115 degrees. Chicago’s Midway International Airport hit a heat index of 110 degrees.

The heat will expand toward the Northeast on Saturday with temperatures in the 90s and heat index values into the upper 90s. The heat index in parts of the Midwest on Saturday could reach over 110 degrees, including in the Chicago metropolitan area.

Excessive heat warnings and watches have been issued for many major metropolitan areas, including Kansas City, Missouri; Chicago; Detroit; Philadelphia; New York City; Hartford, Connecticut; and Albany, New York. Heat advisories have been issued for much of the region from Oklahoma all the way to Vermont.

There will be little relief from the heat wave even at night. The actual temperature at 9 p.m. on Friday night in Chicago was 90 degrees, with a triple-digit heat index. Low temperatures in some of the major metro areas will struggle to dip below 80 degrees during their peak heat this weekend.

The actual temperature on Sunday will approach 100 degrees in New York City; Washington, D.C.; Philadelphia; and Hartford, Connecticut. Heat index values will soar into the 100s, with localized 105-degree heat-index values in urban areas of the Northeast.

The heat wave is currently forecast to last through July 4 — at least. Furthermore, if the heat persists past the holiday, this heat wave could approach some of the notably long heat waves on record in locations such as New York City and Albany, New York.

Severe weather hits Northern Plains

Another round of severe weather will fire up Saturday across parts of the Midwest with damaging winds, large hail and brief tornadoes possible from Kansas to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. There is an enhanced risk for severe weather across parts of eastern Nebraska and Iowa where locally destructive winds and large hail could occur. The tornado threat is greatest in this region.

Cities that could see severe weather Saturday include Des Moines, Iowa; Omaha, Nebraska; Kansas City, Missouri; and Minneapolis.

Additionally, storms will move slowly due to the major ridge of high pressure bringing the heat wave to the east. Slow-moving thunderstorms will cause possible flash flooding. Locally, 2 to 3 inches of rain is expected in parts of eastern Nebraska and Iowa, with 3 to 4 inches or higher possible locally.

Fire threat continues

There are currently 56 large wildfires building across the western U.S. from New Mexico to Alaska.

The Spring fire in Costilla County, Colorado, has burned 28,648 acres and is zero percent contained. There are mandatory evacuations in that area due to the fire.

The Waverly fire caused evacuations in Milton, California, on Friday. The fire has burned 10,000 acres and is only 10 percent contained.

It will be another day of warm temperatures across much of the West. Temperatures will be nearly 100 degrees in parts of interior California on Saturday.

Gusty winds, low relative humidity and high heat will bring the next round of high fire conditions across parts of Northern California and Utah.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

A fake news story helps expose a real crisis

No Comments

By SL

Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call(WASHINGTON) — The Trump administration last year “lost” nearly 1,500 migrant children whom a government agency placed with U.S. sponsors.

Shocking news — but it wasn’t true.

But it was enough to outrage politicians, stir up journalists and make the public ask questions. Chasing this misleading story, however, helped uncover a story that many found even more troubling. And this one was real.

Here’s how it happened.

#WhereAreTheChildren takes hold

In late April, Steven Wagner, an official at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) who oversees programs that place unaccompanied minors with families, told a Senate committee that a department office “was unable to determine with certainty the whereabouts of 1,475 unaccompanied alien children” who had been placed with sponsors living in the United States.

On May 25, National Missing Children’s Day, social media users began sharing a New York Times story on Wagner’s testimony, one that had been out in public for weeks but hadn’t received much attention. News of the testimony generated hundreds of thousands of tweets — and the trending hashtag #WhereAreTheChildren was born.

Democratic politicians weighed in. Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., posted on Twitter, “We are doing irreparable harm to our country; to our standing in the world as global leader; to our reputation as human rights champion. The world is watching, and they are watching in horror. #WhereAreTheChildren.”

Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-Texas, posted about organizing a #WhereAreTheChildren rally in San Antonio.

On May 28, after a Memorial Day weekend dominated by “lost children” headlines, Deputy HHS Secretary Eric Hargan disputed what was becoming a widespread narrative, saying these children were not “lost” but had simply been placed with friends and extended family members — some of whom might be in the country illegally — who didn’t respond when the government checked on them.

It might be a logical move for them not to answer a voluntary call from a federal agency checking up on their charge.

“Their sponsors — who are usually parents or family members and, in all cases, have been vetted for criminality and ability to provide for them — simply did not respond or could not be reached when this voluntary call was made,” Hargan said in a statement.

Just because those children are unaccounted for did not mean they were missing, HHS said.

But all the digging had uncovered a separate issue that had also been reported, but had not yet captured the nation’s full attention: the Trump administration’s practice of separating migrant children from their parents at the southern border, which accelerated under the “zero-tolerance” policy announced in April.

“The situation at our southwest border is unacceptable,” U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said on April 6 when he announced that all adults caught illegally entering the country would be detained and prosecuted.

This policy — a break from what Sessions and President Trump have derisively called the “catch and release” practice of the Obama administration — came after the U.S. Department of Homeland Security reported a 203 percent increase in illegal border crossings from March 2017 to March 2018.

To be clear: Family separation at the border had been happening for months, largely under the radar, but accelerated under “zero tolerance,” immigrant rights advocates say.

The systemic separation of migrant parents from their children became the topic we’ve all become familiar with: adults sent to jails or DHS detention facilities, their minor children taken to shelters run by the Office of Refugee Resettlement or to foster homes. All told, 2,342 children, including infants, were separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border between May 5 and June 9, the DHS said.

This story, brought into focus almost accidentally by the #WhereAreTheChildren furor, has driven the news cycle and prompted vigorous debate across the country.

For example, in an op-ed for The Washington Post on June 17, former first lady Laura Bush described the facilities for children as “eerily reminiscent of the internment camps for U.S. citizens and noncitizens of Japanese descent during World War II.”

First lady Melania Trump also took notice, twice visiting detention facilities at the southern border, while Fox News host Laura Ingraham on June 18 described the children’s shelters as “essentially summer camps,” which drew swift backlash.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the 28-year-old unlikely winner of the Democratic primary election for the 14th Congressional District of New York, called for the abolition of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) as part of her platform and visited an ICE child detention center in Tornillo, Texas, last weekend.

But some family separation stories emerged months earlier to a more muted response. For example, on Feb. 26, 2018, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a lawsuit on behalf of “Ms. L,” a Congolese mother who entered the country legally at a border crossing near San Diego with her 7-year-old daughter on Nov. 1, 2017, to seek asylum.

Four days after their arrival, Ms. L was sent to Otay Mesa Detention Center in San Diego County while her daughter was taken from her and flown 2,000 miles to a children’s shelter in Chicago. The child “sits all alone in a Chicago facility, frightened and traumatized, crying for her mother and not knowing when she will see her again,” the court papers filed by the ACLU stated.

The ACLU told ABC News in February that it had learned of hundreds of similar cases, but was still gathering facts and had brought the lawsuit as a “legal test case.”

Reflecting on what was known at that time, Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU’s National Immigrants’ Rights Project, said “the administration deflected attention away from the issue during the fall and winter by saying they were only considering a policy of family separation. But, in practice, they had already begun separating hundreds of families.”

This was …read more

Source:: National News

      

Police use of Taser on unarmed black man in Pennsylvania spurs protests

No Comments

By LL

ABC News(LANCASTER, Pa.) — A crowd of protesters gathered on the steps of an old courthouse in southern Pennsylvania on Friday evening, one day after a video posted on social media showed a local officer using a Taser on an unarmed black man sitting on a sidewalk.

The dozens of demonstrators outside Lancaster County Courthouse were calling for an end to police brutality and an external investigation into the police officer’s use of force.

“I think there needs to be higher police accountability to the community,” one of the protesters, Brandon Roe of Lancaster County, told ABC affiliate WHTM. “It just shows the numbers in solidarity that this movement has, that we need more respect for people’s rights, the rights of the accused, the rights of our communities to be treated with respect.”

“It’s not OK for police to treat some people different than others,” another protester, Malinda Harnish Clatterbuck of nearby Fayette County, told WHTM. “When it’s a systematic problem, then I think there has to be a systematic response.”

Sean Williams, the 27-year-old shown in the video having the Taser used on him, was at the rally Friday night. He declined to speak to reporters on camera, but thanked the media for being there, according to WHTM.

The widely-shared video of the incident, taken by a bystander, shows at least two police officers ordering Williams to sit down on a sidewalk curb in Lancaster. Williams complies.

The officers then repeatedly direct Williams to put his legs “straight out” in front of him.

“Legs straight out or you’re getting tased,” a male officer standing behind Williams can be heard saying in the video, with his Taser drawn.

“Put your legs straight out and cross them now,” a female officer yells.

Williams appears to begin following the officers’ orders by straightening his legs but then folds them back again. That’s when the male officer fires his Taser.

Williams writhes in pain on the ground, with the Taser’s dart-like probes attached to his back. The male officer then orders Williams to stay flat on his stomach with his “arms out like an airplane.”

More officers then arrive on the scene, and Williams is placed in handcuffs.

According to the police report, the encounter with Williams stemmed from a 911 call authorities received on Thursday morning reporting that a man “with a bat” went after a group of three other persons.

Lancaster Police Officer Shannon Mazzante responded to the call and came across a group of three individuals “telling a male to get away from them,” the report said.

Mazzante told the man, identified by police as Williams, to sit down “several times” but he didn’t comply. Williams wouldn’t leave a woman in the group alone and “kept repeating that he wanted a specific item, his Social Security card, from her,” according to the report.

Lancaster Police Officer Philip Bernot arrived on the scene soon after and warned Williams that a Taser would be used if he didn’t listen to their orders.

“Williams was instructed to stick his legs straight out in front of him and to cross his ankles. This is done as a measure of control to ensure that if someone is going to flee or offer physical resistance, they will have to move their legs under them to do so. Noncompliance is often a precursor to someone that is preparing to flee or fight with officers,” the report said.

The report said Bernot deployed the Taser after Williams “failed to follow instructions.” Williams was then taken into custody “without further incident or use of force,” according to the report.

The group that had been apparently telling Williams to get away told police that they knew him and he “had been exhibiting increasing erratic behavior over the previous few days.” They said Williams had been outside a residence earlier and wanted to fight with them. But the group said they did not see Williams with a bat, and no bat was found at the scene, the report said.

Juan Almestica, the bystander who took the video, told ABC News that he went outside his home after hearing a commotion. Almestica said the man had his hands up and told police, “I don’t want no trouble.”

“I could see the officer was still being aggressive with him and aiming his Taser, so that’s why I decided to start filming,” Almestica told ABC News in a telephone interview Friday. “One of the officers is telling him to put his legs straight, and another one is telling him to cross his legs. There were so many people shouting at him, he didn’t know what to do. Then they tased him because they said he wasn’t listening.”

Upon apprehending Williams, police learned that there was an outstanding criminal warrant for his arrest for possession of a controlled substance and public drunkenness. Williams was taken into custody on the warrant and transported to the police station, according to the police report.

Williams was checked by emergency medical services, “as is protocol” with every use of an electronic control device, the police report said. He was later released on unsecured $5,000 bail.

Lancaster Mayor Danene Sorace said an investigation into the incident is underway.

“Like you, when I saw the video I was upset by it, and it is of great concern to me,” Sorace said in a video posted to her Facebook page Friday. “We take the use of force very seriously. There is an investigation that has already commenced.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

%d bloggers like this: