Home

TTR News Center

One dead, four injured in four-alarm fire at Trump Tower in NYC

No Comments

By KT

@FDNY/Twitter (NEW YORK) — One person was killed in a four-alarm blaze at Trump Tower on Saturday, according to NYPD.

NYPD said members of FDNY removed a 67-year-old male who was unconscious and unresponsive from the building. He was transported to Mount Sinai Roosevelt Hospital where he was pronounced deceased, according to NYPD.

FDNY said units responded just after 5:30 p.m. and 200 firefighters and EMS members were on the scene.

A large apartment on the 50th floor of the skyscraper at 57th Street in Midtown Manhattan was entirely on fire, FDNY said.

There were no evacuations, but some residents self-evacuated and the rest of the building had a considerable amount of smoke, according to officials.

Four firefighters suffered non-life-threatening injuries, according to FDNY commisioner Daniel Nigro.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

President Trump, who was in Washington this weekend, thanked firefighters on Twitter.

“Fire at Trump Tower is out. Very confined (well built building). Firemen (and women) did a great job. THANK YOU!”

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

FDNY responds to four-alarm fire at Trump Tower

No Comments

By KT

@FDNY/Twitter (NEW YORK) — FDNY firefighters responded to a four-alarm blaze at Trump Tower on Saturday.

One serious injury was reported, according to the New York City Office of Emergency Management.

There were no evacuations, but some residents self-evacuated, according to officials.

The fire broke out on the 50th floor of the skyscraper at 57th Street in Midtown Manhattan, fire officials said.

President Trump was not in New York City this weekend.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

National Guardsmen sent to Mexico border to decide on additional troops

No Comments

By KT

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — The National Guard troops sent to the U.S. border with Mexico this weekend are a team of mostly planners who will decide how many additional members should be deployed, officials said.

The Texas National Guard deployed 150 members to support the new border security mission announced by President Donald Trump earlier this week. Over the coming days, they will meet with officials from Customs and Border Protection and the Department of Homeland Security in five sectors along the southern border to discuss the mission, including how many more guardsmen will be needed.

They join 100 Texas guardsmen who had been supporting previous border security operations in the area, according to Brig. Gen. Tracy Norris, assistant deputy adjutant general of the Texas Military Department.

The Arizona National Guard has also activated a team of planners who will coordinate the deployment of 150 guardsmen to the Mexico border next week.

On Friday, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis signed a memo that authorized the federal government to pay for the potential deployment of up to 4,000 National Guard troops for the border mission through September. But it remains unclear exactly how many guardsmen the state governments will ultimately mobilize to support the operation.

“We are sealing up our Southern Border,” Trump tweeted Saturday.

The governors of New Mexico and California, the other states situated along the border with Mexico, have not formally announced whether they will participate in the new border security mission.

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez has expressed support for National Guard troops supporting Border Patrol agents in her state.

California Gov. Jerry Brown’s administration is considering it, according to Lt. Col. Thomas Keegan, a spokesman for the California National Guard.

“This request -– as with others we’ve received from the Department of Homeland Security, including those for additional staffing in 2006 and 2010 –- will be promptly reviewed to determine how best we can assist our federal partners. We look forward to more detail, including funding, duration and end state,” said Keegan, speaking on behalf of Brown’s administration.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Two soldiers die in helicopter crash, bringing the number killed in military aviation mishaps to seven this week

No Comments

By Jonah Haskell

iStock/Thinkstock(HOPKINSVILLE, Ky.) — Two soldiers were killed in a training flight of an Apache attack helicopter at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

The two deaths in the crash Friday night brings to seven the number of service members who have died just this week in three military aviation crashes in the United States. Two other aviation mishaps in the East African nation of Djibouti resulted in no casualties.

An Army statement on the most recent crash said, “At approximately 9:50 p.m. Friday, two soldiers of the 101st Combat Aviation Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) were killed in an AH-64E Apache helicopter crash in the local training area on Fort Campbell.”

The cause is under investigation.

“This is a day of sadness for Fort Campbell and the 101st Airborne,” said Brigadier Gen. Todd Royar, acting senior commander of the 101st Airborne Division and Fort Campbell. “Our thoughts and prayer are with the families during this difficult time.”

The fatal mishap follows two other deadly military aviation crashes in the last five days.

On Thursday, an F-16 crashed near Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada, killing Major Stephen Del Bagno, a member of the Air Force’s elite Thunderbirds flight-demonstration team.

Two days earlier, on Tuesday, a Marine CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter crashed near El Centro, California, during a training flight. Four Marines died — Capt. Samuel A. Schultz, 28; First Lt. Samuel D. Phillips, 27; Gunnery Sgt. Derik R. Holley, 33; and Lance Cpl. Taylor J. Conrad, 24.

Two other nonfatal aviation mishaps also occurred on Tuesday. A Marine AV-8B Harrier jet crashed on takeoff from the airport in Djibouti City. The pilot suffered no injuries after ejecting from the aircraft. Later that day, a Marine CH-53E helicopter carried out a “hard landing” at a beach near the capital city. There were no injuries.

A senior military official was asked Thursday if this week’s string of crashes might be a sign of systemic problems in military aviation.

“I don’t have anything … for you right now that should say those are necessarily linked,” Lt. Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, director of the Joint Staff, said at a Pentagon news conference. “But [we] always look at linkages. We always look at multiple causalities. We always look at that very hard.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Missing 5-year-old boy with autism presumed dead; father arrested for 'intentionally' killing him: Authorities

No Comments

By Jonah Haskell

iStock/Thinkstock(CHARLOTTE, Tenn.) — A 5-year-old boy with autism, who was reported missing in Tennessee earlier this week, is believed to be dead, and his father is under arrest for “intentionally” killing him, authorities said Saturday.

Joseph Ray Daniels, 29, was arrested Saturday morning and charged with one count of criminal homicide, after authorities determined he had intentionally killed his son, Joseph “Joe Clyde” Daniels, sometime on Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning, according to Jason Locke, deputy director at the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI).

The father has been booked in Dickson County Jail on $1 million bond, Locke said.

Joe Clyde Daniels, who had autism and was nonverbal, was reported missing by his parents to the Dickson County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday morning, and authorities began a three-day “exhaustive search” for the young boy, with the hope of finding the child and bringing him home safely, according to Locke.

The TBI, which had issued an endangered child alert for Joe Clyde, opened an investigation into criminal conduct on Friday. Now, Locke said, authorities are searching for the boy’s remains in and around the family’s residence in Dickson County.

“Unfortunately, it is with great sadness that I have to inform you of a turn of events,” Locke said at a press conference Saturday morning. “During the course of the investigation, it was determined the child’s father, Joseph Daniels, intentionally killed his son in his residence and then hid his body.”

Although the child’s father is the only person who has been arrested in the case so far, Dickson County Sheriff Jeff Bledsoe said the investigation is ongoing and “nothing is off the table.”

“We’re not sure where the next turn will be or where the evidence will lead us,” Bledsoe told reporters at the press conference Saturday.

Bledsoe and Locke described the news as “devastating” and “profoundly disappointing,” but they thanked the volunteers and members of the community who helped look for Joe Clyde.

“It’s just been a devastating end to this,” the sheriff said. “A lot of people have poured their heart and soul into this.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

%d bloggers like this: