Home

TTR News Center

Villanova Wins The 2018 NCAA Championship

No Comments

By Brittany Martinez

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — The Villanova Wildcats are NCAA Champions once again.

The Wildcats dominated the Michigan Wolverines on Monday night 79- 62 to win their second NCAA championship in 3 years.

The Wildcats were led by sophomore Donte DiVincenzo who scored 31 points in the win.

Villanova’s NCAA title marks the second championship won by the state of Pennsylvania. The Philadelphia Eagles, who congratulated the team on Twitter, won the Superbowl in February of this year.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Sports News

      

Scoreboard roundup -- 4/2/18

No Comments

By Brittany Martinez

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) Here are the scores from yesterday’s sports events:

INTERLEAGUE
Final Pittsburgh 5 Minnesota 4
Final Boston 7 Miami 3

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Final Detroit 6 Kansas City 1
Final Toronto 4 Chi White Sox 2
Final Houston 6 Baltimore 1
Final Oakland 3 Texas 1
Final Cleveland 6 L-A Angels 0
Tampa Bay at N-Y Yankees 1:05 p.m., postponed

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Final St. Louis 8 Milwaukee 4
Final Cincinnati 1 Chi Cubs 0
Final Washington 8 Atlanta 1
Final Colorado 7 San Diego 4
L-A Dodgers 7 Arizona 8 , 15 innings
Philadelphia at N-Y Mets 7:10 p.m., postponed

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
Final Toronto 5 Buffalo 2
Final Florida 3 Carolina 2
Final Winnipeg 6 Ottawa 5
Final Minnesota 3 Edmonton 0
Final Washington 4 St. Louis 2
Final L.A. Kings 3 Colorado 1

TOP-25 COLLEGE BASKETBALL
Final (2) Villanova 79 (7) Michigan 62

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Sports News

      

Designer of waterslide that killed boy surrenders to police after returning to country

No Comments

By Lily Lieberman

ABC News(KANSAS CITY, Kan.) — The designer of a waterslide that killed a 10-year-old boy at a Kansas City amusement park in 2016 has surrendered to U.S. Marshals after returning to the country on Monday night.

According to the U.S. Marshals Service, the North Texas Fugitive Task Force took John Schooley into custody at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport after the designer returned from China.

Schooley, 72, was indicted last week on charges of second-degree murder, aggravated battery and aggravated endangering of a child.

His lawyer, J. Justin Johnston, told ABC News last week his client was out of the country when the charges were filed and was “working with counsel to coordinate his prompt return to the United States” and that Schooley intended “to voluntarily surrender and defend the charges against him.”

The U.S. Marshals Service said Schooley was being held in Dallas pending arraignment and removal to Kansas.

Caleb Schwab, the son of a Kansas state lawmaker, suffered a fatal neck injury on the Verrückt waterslide on Aug. 7, 2016, according to the Kansas City Police Department.

Investigators believe the raft collided with one of the ride’s metal hoops, decapitating the boy and badly injuring the two other passengers, leaving one with a fractured jaw bone and the other with an orbital bone fracture.

The towering waterslide, which was certified in 2014 by the Guinness Book of World Records as the tallest in the world, was only in operation for six months.

Prosecutors have alleged that Jeffrey Henry, who co-owned Schlitterbahn Waterpark, and other employees of the water park attempted to hide from investigators documents detailing at least 13 people’s injuries on the Verrückt waterslide leading up to Schwab’s death.

Henry was arrested March 26 and has also been charged with second-degree murder. Tyler Miles, the former operations director of the Schlitterbahn Waterpark, was arrested prior to Henry and charged with 20 felony counts, including involuntary manslaughter.

Schlitterbahn Waterpark has denied it hid documents detailing previous injuries or operated the slide unsafely.

“The allegation that we operated, and failed to maintain, a ride that could foreseeably cause such a tragic accident is beyond the pale of speculation,” the water park said in a statement last week. “The accusation that we withheld information or altered evidence is completely false.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

New DNA evidence and original witness testimony questions 2002 dice-game murderer's conviction

No Comments

By Lily Lieberman

Zbigniew Bzdak/Chicago Tribune/TNS via Getty Images(CHICAGO) — A Chicago man who’s already served 15 years in prison for allegedly gunning down a man playing craps on a school playground is attempting to get his conviction reversed.

His attorneys claim that new, independent DNA evidence and witness testimony at trial suggest that he didn’t do it.

Laymond Harrison, 28, was shot and killed July 9, 2002. That day, a group of about six people were playing a dice game with Harrison at Madison Elementary School. These same men testified at trial that Antonio Porter, 27 at the time, didn’t appear to be the killer.

The killer was allegedly there for vengeance but also reportedly to stick up the players.

After the murder, the killer was seen pocketing the cash but also dropped some bills on the ground as he made his getaway.

Three $5 bills tagged as evidence were independently analyzed by a forensic expert.

Attorney Kathleen Zellner confirmed to ABC News that none of the DNA evidence from the crime scene tracks back to Porter. Of the three people whose DNA was discovered, one was Harrison’s.

A summary of the results of the DNA testing conducted Jan. 18 stated, “Antonio Porter is excluded as a possible contributor of the DNA profile obtained from the sample …”

Porter’s legal counsel said that this new DNA evidence should absolve him, as he’s currently serving out a 71-year sentence in Statesville Correctional Center.

“We’re going to ask them to review the underlying case file data on the DNA and walk them through it,” Zellner said.

Not only could the proof get Porter off the hook, but Zellner said the forensic findings suggest who may have actually killed Harrison.

“We think we do have the name of the shooter,” she said, adding that the suspected person is alive as well.

The Conviction Integrity Unit, part of the Cook County Prosecutor’s Office, completed its review of Porter’s case last week and continued to be unswayed by any evidence so far proving his innocence, a representative for Cook County State’s Attorney Kimberly M. Foxx said in a statement to ABC News.

“The Conviction Integrity Unit reviewed and concluded the DNA results are not exonerating, and there is insufficient new evidence to demonstrate that Mr. Porter is probably innocent of the crime,” the statement said. “Therefore, after an exhaustive review, we do not intend to further pursue an investigation of the claim at this time.”

But beyond the science, Zellner and even Porter’s trial attorney back in 2003 claimed that witnesses were influenced to pick Porter out of photo arrays and lineups.

“Each and every one of the witnesses recanted their testimony,” Chicago attorney Benjamin Starks, who represented Porter during the trial, told ABC News. “They gave statements to the police.”

“They implicated [Porter] as the killer,” he added, “and then they said at trial that they were made to say that by police.”

Zellner also was stunned that witnesses at the trial announced that they didn’t believe or were very skeptical that Porter had killed Harrison.

“I’ve never seen a case like this,” she said. “Post-conviction you hope to get witnesses to recant their testimony, but it’s so unheard of and unprecedented that they would recant at trial.”

ABC News reviewed some of the testimony by four witnesses at Porter’s trial, which suggests that at least at one point during the trial they were uncertain Porter pulled the trigger that night.

However, at least three witnesses that recanted their original testimony in favor of Porter were not only brought before police to be questioned but also swore under oath that Porter killed Harrison during grand jury proceedings.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Caught on camera: Freight train slams into tractor-trailer in Georgia

No Comments

By Lily Lieberman

ABC News(ATLANTA, Ga.) — A freight train slammed into a tractor-trailer Monday evening in Georgia, and a passerby captured it on video.

Liv Fowler was going for a walk when she saw the truck become stuck on the track — not the first time she’d seen it happen.

The truck’s driver exited before impact, waving his arms and trying to signal that he was OK, but the conductor couldn’t slow down in time.

The CSX train, with three locomotives and 162 freight cars, was traveling north from Atlanta to Chattanooga, Tennessee, when it struck the tractor-trailer.

A CSX employee aboard the train was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries, according to local police. No other injuries were reported.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

%d bloggers like this: