Home

TTR News Center

Timeline of trepidation: 38 minutes of fear in Hawaii

No Comments

By KT

Larry Santos(HONOLULU) — It all began with a routine test.

Just after 8 a.m. at the change of shift at the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency, a worker there “pushed the wrong button,” sending out a statewide warning of a missile attack, according to officials. While the military and police were notified within minutes that the alert was sent in error, it took 38 minutes to send the all-clear to the public, officials said.

Approx. 8:05 a.m. – Workers test the Emergency Alert System and Wireless Emergency Alert. The worker performs the test, and verified a confirmation request on his screen, according to HI-EMA’s administrator Vern Miyagi.

Here’s how it happened:


8:07 a.m.
-– The warning is sent out.

8:10 a.m. -– Officials notify the U.S. Pacific Command and the Honolulu Police Department that there was no missile attack and the alarm was sent in error.

8:13 a.m. –- The Civil Danger warning message is cancelled, but the cancellation only prevents the message from being received by people whose phones were turned off or were out of range when the alert was transmitted. Hawaii Gov. David Ige said there was no way to broadcast a “false alarm” message and there was only a “manual process” for alerting the public.

8:20 a.m. –- HI-EMA takes to Twitter and Facebook to cancel the alert.

8:24 a.m. –- The governor retweets HI-EMA’s cancellation tweet.

8:30 a.m. –- The governor updates his Facebook page with the cancellation notice.

8:45 a.m. –- After getting authorization from FEMA Integral Public Alert and Warning System, HI-EMA sends out the false-alarm message.

HI-EMA said in a statement it has already taken some action in advance of a preliminary report due next week: Drills have been suspended; a cancellation command that can be “triggered within seconds of an error” has been put in place; and it “instituted a two-person activation/verification rule for tests as well as actual missile launch notifications.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

2018 Yoakum FFA 4-H Stockshow Champions

No Comments

MARKET RABBITS

Grand Champion – Brooke Prasek
Reserve Champion – Emilie Brandes

MARKET STEERS

Grand Champion – Sutton Pavliska
Reserve Champion – Nicholas Gomez
Senior Showmanship – Kailee Knezek
Junior Showmanship – Sutton Pavliska

MARKET SWINE

Grand Champion – Morgan Vinklarek
Reserve Champion – Briget Frazer

BREEDING SWINE

Grand Champion – Austin Vinklarek
Reserve Champion – Morgan Vinklarek
3rd Overall – Morgan Vinklarek
Senior Showmanship – Morgan Vinklarek
Junior Showmanship – Sheela Webb

BROILERS –

Grand Champion – Brenna Bland
Reserve Champion – Audrey Donihou
Showmanship – Timothy Donihou

MARKET GOATS –

Grand Champion – Cayson Taylor
Reserve Champion – Jayla Morris
Senior Showmanship – Jayla Morris
Junior Showmanship – Abigail Broughton

BREEDING GOATS –

Grand Champion – Jayla Morris
Reserve Champion – Abigail Broughton

AG MECHANICS –

Grand Champion – Sheela Webb (Horseshoe Table)
Reserve Champion – Dustin Bennett & Braden Hanzelka (Steer Walker)
Grand Showman – Sheela Webb
Reserve Showman – Dustin Bennett & Braden Hanzelka

The concession stand is open and there is a Silent Auction underway through 7.  The awards presentation will take place this evening at 6, followed by the Premium Sale at 7 at the Yoakum Rodeo Arena on N South Street.

Wrong woman killed in love triangle murder-for-hire plot, officials say

No Comments

By KT

Osceola County Corrections(ORMOND BEACH, Fla.) — A murder-for-hire plot spun out of a love triangle went awry when the wrong woman was kidnapped and killed, authorities said.

A woman’s body was found Monday in Florida’s Ormond Beach and later identified as 42-year-old Janice Marie Zengotita-Torres, who had been reported missing in Osceola County. An investigation ultimately revealed that Zengotita-Torres, who had moved to Florida from Puerto Rico with her family over a year ago, was mistaken for the target of a murder-for-hire plot, according to the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office.

Ishnar Lopez-Ramos, 35, allegedly hired Alexis Ramos-Rivera, 22, and his girlfriend Glorianmarie Quinones-Montes, also 22, to kill a woman who was in a relationship with a man she loved. But Lopez-Ramos, Ramos-Rivera and Quinones-Montes apparently mistook Zengotita-Torres for the intended target, the sheriff’s office said.

“I get emotional because it touches me so deeply that one of our citizens was killed in such a manner over a mistaken identification and in the end it appears to be a lover’s triangle,” Osceola County Sheriff Russ Gibson said at a press conference Friday.

The suspects spotted Zengotita-Torres as she left a store at a shopping center where she worked in Osceola County late Sunday night. They followed her to a parking lot near her home where they allegedly abducted her, forcing her into their car before speeding away. They then drove to a nearby bank where they allegedly withdrew money from the woman’s account using her ATM card, according to the sheriff’s office.

It wasn’t until the suspects took the woman to an apartment in Orlando that they allegedly realized they had abducted the wrong person. But they continued with their alleged plan anyway, the sheriff’s office said.

They allegedly bound the woman with zip ties, beat her and suffocated her with garbage bags. They allegedly dumped her body in Ormond Beach early Monday morning, according to the sheriff’s office.

Authorities arrested Lopez-Ramos on Friday after she was caught on surveillance camera allegedly wearing Zengotita-Torres’s clothing while trying to use the victim’s ATM card. Lopez-Ramos gave a full confession to authorities and implicated the other two suspects, who were subsequently arrested and provided full confessions as well, according to the sheriff’s office.

The three suspects, all of whom moved to Florida from Puerto Rico on Dec. 26, told authorities it was a botched murder-for-hire plot in which Zengotita-Torres was mistakenly targeted. The sheriff’s office said it has located the intended victim, who declined offers from authorities to protect her.

Lopez-Ramos, Ramos-Rivera and Quinones-Montes have been booked in Osceola County Jail and face charges of premeditated first-degree murder, according to jail records.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Man attempts to play catch with someone every day in 2018: 'It's just fun!'

No Comments

By KT

Ethan Bryan(SPRINGFIELD, Mo.) — One baseball lover wants to return to the simpler things in life this year, and has resolved to play catch every single day.

Ethan Bryan said he got the idea to play catch every day in 2018 after his 13-year-old daughter, Sophie, gifted him a catching glove for Christmas. On her gift, a note read: “Dad, want to play catch?”

On the very first day of the New Year, the Springfield, Missouri father of two told ABC News that he took his daughter up on the offer.

“It was horribly cold…but I said, ‘Do you want to play catch?’ And she looked at me and said, ‘Sure!’ Bryan, 43, recalled to ABC News.

While throwing the ball around, Bryan, who’s played catch since he was 8 years old, remembered how good it felt.

“This is what I love to do more than anything — to play catch — so I said let’s see how many days in a row we could do it,” Bryan explained.

And so far, so good. He’s played catch with both of his daughters — Sophie along with 16-year-old Kaylea — as well as church friends and other family members. Bryan has also played with retired St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Kyle McClellan.

“It’s just fun,” he said. “There are times when I drop the ball. It happens. It’s not about being perfect. There’s no judgment. We’re just out there having fun. And I think as we get older we forget how important it is to step back and have fun.”

Bryan added, “There’s a freedom that’s found in playing catch that I just love — just to connect with somebody away from screens, away from phones, away from this incredibly technology-infused life.”

Chris Taylor, who met Bryan at a book launch event, played catch with the baseball enthusiast last Saturday.

“He texted me — and I’m known for cosplaying as Thor — so he texted me, ‘Does Thor play catch?’ And I said, ‘Yeah!'” Taylor recalled to ABC News.

The two threw the ball around a few times. Taylor, who admitted he hadn’t played catch “in a while,” said it felt good to have fun again.

“Ethan’s just a little ball of joy,” he said. “It felt great and I want to do more of it.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Sports News

      

%d bloggers like this: