Home

TTR News Center

17 dead, 17 missing after flooding and mudslides force thousands to flee in California

No Comments

By TJH

ABCNews.com(SANTA BARBARA, Calif.) — At least 17 people are dead, 17 are missing and more than two dozen are injured in California from weather-related incidents, Santa Barbara County officials said Wednesday. The southern part of the state has been drenched with severe rain just weeks after several fires tore through the area.

Flash flooding, debris flow and mudslides are punishing the communities hit hard by the Thomas and La Tuna fires, prompting “dozens and dozens” of rescues on the ground, a spokesperson from the Santa Barbara County Fire Department told ABC News.

Many more are feared to be dead and buried beneath the mud, a California fire crew who has conducted up to 70 rescues alone told ABC News Tuesday afternoon.

One of those killed was Roy Rohter, the founder of the St. Augustine Academy in Ventura, according to the Catholic school’s headmaster, Michael Van Hecke, the Associated Press reported. Rohter’s wife was injured by the mudslide.

Montecito alone saw heavy rainfall in a short amount of time. About a third of the rain that has fallen in the last 24 hours in Montecito fell in just 5 minutes, according to the National Weather Service.

Because hundreds of thousands of acres were charred in the fires, the influx of water has nowhere to go.

Some homes in Montecito’s affluent community have been ripped from their foundations as a result of the torrential conditions. Several dozen homes have been destroyed or damaged, officials said.

The Santa Barbara County Office of Emergency Management said Tuesday night the city of Montecito would be without potable water, electricity and sanitation “for an extended period of time.”

Local fire officials reported rescuing several people in the area, including a mother and her daughter who were caked in mud. About two dozen people in Santa Barbara County are unaccounted for, officials said.

The Claffey family in Carpinteria was forced to evacuate its home last month. After moving back in, family members were told to evacuate again because of the rain.

“If our house was flooded it would be devastating. Absolutely devastating,” Maureen Claffey told ABC News.

Another family told ABC News that they witnessed neighbors floating away from their homes on mattresses and others holding on to trees for hours in a whirlpool of frigid mud.

The record rains started coming down on Monday, soaking northern cities like San Francisco and Sacramento. First responders put on skies to help the stranded since many roads and thruways have become raging rivers.

A 14-year-old girl was “trapped for hours” in mud-soaked rubble on Hot Springs Road and then pulled to safety in a triumphant moment.

Power in the area has also been cut, according to ABC News affiliate KEYT.

More rescues were expected and evacuations are rising, officials said.

The worst of the storm will move inland, with the heavy rain letting up sometime around dinner time or even before, according to the National Weather Service. Flash flood watches will remain in effect across portions of Southern California, including Los Angeles and Santa Barbara until then.

So far, rainfall totals Tuesday afternoon range from 3 to 5 inches in the mountains in Ventura County and 2 to 3 inches in the mountains of Santa Barbara County, with higher totals within the areas burned by the Thomas fire in both counties.

Rainfall rates exceeding one inch per hour at times contributed to the damaging mudslides in portions of Southern California.

The weather has snarled drivers and first responders attempting to aid storm victims.

Routes in and out of Santa Barbara have been shut down from the south, and various roadways have been swallowed by the floods.

The only way into some of the washed-out homes is by air.

Ventura’s Air Squad 6 dedicated helicopters to join Santa Barbara in the rescue effort.

Officials told ABC News they’ve been called to locations but they’re also stuck like thousands of motorists.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Nashville notes

No Comments

By Music News Group

Burke/Triolo Productions/Thinkstock Luke Bryan is adding The Cadillac Three, Ryan Hurd, Adam Craig, Maggie Rose, Kendell Marvel and DJ Rock to the lineup of his Crash My Playa getaway vacation January 17-20 in Riviera Maya, Mexico. They join Blake Shelton, Sam Hunt, Dustin Lynch, Maren Morris and Brett Young, who were already on the bill.

Aaron Watson‘s follow-up to his first top-ten single, “Outta Style,” will be “Run Wild Horses,” from his Vaquero album.

Tune in to see Brett Young perform his three-week #1, “Like I Loved You,” Thursday on Good Morning America, starting at 7 a.m. on ABC.

Singer/songwriter Mitchell Tenpenny is the newest artist signed to Sony Music Nashville.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Country Music News

      

Dierks Bentley spots a "Midwestern Sunrise," as he prepares to release "Woman Amen"

No Comments

By Music News Group

ABC/Image Group LA The New Year is bringing plenty of new beginnings for Dierks Bentley.

His new single, “Woman Amen,” will be released January 17, he revealed in a live social media chat on Wednesday. Later this year, The Mountain, his album inspired by and recorded in Telluride, Colorado, will follow.

Back home in Nashville, Dierks also has a new favorite place to play: his own watering hole located along the famed stretch of Music City honky tonks known as Lower Broadway.

“A little bar called Whiskey Row is open, finally, on 4th and Broadway,” the Arizona native explained. “I actually popped in [Tuesday] night and sang some nineties country songs with my guys, my band.”

“We’ve been off the road for so long,” he continued, “the guys have decided to form a band without me. So, they’re down there playing on Tuesday nights under the name Western Sunrise, which is odd, because none of them are from the West. I gave them a lot of grief about that… Midwestern Sunrise, I think I’m gonna call ’em from now on.”

Dierks and Midwestern Sunrise should be plenty busy later this year, as a major tour is expected to follow the new single and album.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Country Music News

      

Union looking into report of massive re-shoot pay disparity for "All the Money" stars Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams

No Comments

By Stephen Iervolino

“All the Money in the World” – ©2017 CTMG, Inc.(LOS ANGELES) — SAG-AFTRA, the union that represents actors, is investigating a report that Mark Wahlberg was paid $1.5 million to do re-shoots for All the Money in the World while his co-star Michelle Williams was paid a mere $80 per diem, which totaled less than $1,000, less than one percent of what Wahlberg earned.

“We are unambiguously in favor of pay equity between men and women in this industry and support every action to move in this direction,” a SAG-AFTRA rep told Variety. “At the same time, performers at this level negotiate their above-scale rates through their agents.”

Deadline reports that if Williams was paid at least union scale for the reshoots, there may be no violation of union rules, regardless of any outside deal any other actor may have negotiated.

Wahlberg and Williams are both represented by the same agency, William Morris Endeavor, which has not commented on the report.

Director Ridley Scott had to do re-shoots for the movie the week of Thanksgiving after Kevin Spacey was replaced by Christopher Plummer in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against Spacey.

In December, Scott told USA Today that he was able to keep costs down for the re-shoot because “everyone did it for nothing.” He said that he and all the actors “came in free” over the Thanksgiving holiday, except for Plummer. Williams, a multiple Oscar nominee, told the publication that she did indeed agree to that.

But Tuesday, USA Today reported that Wahlberg’s team negotiated his $1.5 million fee and Williams was not told about it.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Entertainment News

      

Wind Advisory issued January 11 at 3:35AM CST until January 12 at 12:00AM CST by NWS

No Comments

By w-nws.webmaster@noaa.gov …WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO MIDNIGHT CST TONIGHT… The National Weather Service in Austin/San Antonio has issued a Wind Advisory, which is in effect from 10 AM this morning to midnight CST tonight. * TIMING…Late morning through evening. …read more

Source:: GONZALES COUNTY WX ALERT

      

%d bloggers like this: