Home

TTR News Center

Suspect in deadly Kansas 'swatting' call made 20 other threat-related calls in the past: Police

No Comments

By TJH

ABC News(WICHITA, Kan.) — The suspect accused of making the prank call to police in Wichita, Kansas, which led to the death of an unarmed man last week, made about 20 other threat-related calls in the past, police said Tuesday.

The Glendale Police Department confirmed to ABC News that Tyler Barriss made about 20 calls to universities and media outlets throughout the country around the time he was arrested for a bomb threat to Los Angeles ABC station KABC in 2015.

Glendale police reached out to law enforcement around the country for similar cases in the wake of the KABC incident and found the dozens of other cases.

Police say since they are from around the country, the FBI would take the scope of cases, but the FBI sent ABC News a statement Tuesday night saying: “The FBI worked with Glendale PD based on a series of threats allegedly made by Barriss in/around 2015 and deferred to the state to pursue prosecution, as is the case in many swatting-related matters involving local police.”

Barriss pleaded no contest to two felony charges of false report of a bomb and malicious informing of a bomb in May 2016 in relation to the bomb threat made to KABC. He was sentenced to two years and eight months in jail, court records show. Barriss was released early in January 2017, according to The Daily Beast. After being released, he was arrested again for violating a protective order, and despite being sentenced to one year in prison, was released in August 2017, according to The Daily Beast.

The Glendale Police Department told ABC News it does not have any pending cases against Barriss related to other threatening phone calls.

Barriss allegedly called Wichita police on Dec. 28 and said he shot his father and was holding his mother and brother hostage. When police responded to the address allegedly given by Barriss, an officer shot and killed Andrew Finch. Police said Finch reached toward his waistband after answering the door, and the officer thought he was reaching for a weapon. No weapon was found, and the situation described in the phone call turned out to be entirely made up.

Los Angeles District Attorney Jackie Lacey said Barriss was scheduled to appear in court in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

Wichita Police Department Deputy Chief Troy Livingston said last week investigators believe the prank call was a case of “swatting,” in which a 911 caller intends to deceive law enforcement about an alleged serious emergency so a SWAT team shows up unannounced. According to The Associated Press, the FBI has estimated that roughly 400 cases of “swatting” occur nationwide every year.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Nashville notes

No Comments

By Music News Group

Burke/Triolo Productions/Thinkstock Charlie Worsham and Charles Esten will do “Looking for the Light” Thursday on NBC’s Today show. The song the two wrote together will be featured in an upcoming episode of Nashville.

Former Grand Ole Opry announcer Hairl Hensley passed away Sunday at the age of 81.

If you missed the TV debut of LOCASH‘s new single, “Don’t Get Better Than That,” you can watch the duo’s performance on Megyn Kelly Today online.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Country Music News

      

Los Angeles DA weighing cases against Harvey Weinstein, James Toback

No Comments

By Music News Group

Jacopo Raule/GC Images(LOS ANGELES) — The Beverly Hill Police Department has sent two potential criminal cases against disgraced movie producer Harvey Weinstein to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office for review, the department has confirmed to ABC News.

A specialized task force will now decide if the cases can be prosecuted and if charges should be filed.

The department provided no details about the cases.

In addition, the D.A.’s office tells ABC affiliate KABC that is reviewing five potential cases against director James Toback — three from the Beverly Hills Police and two from Los Angeles Police.

Weinstein and Toback were the subject of separate articles in The New York Times, The New Yorker and The Los Angeles Times late last year in which a number of woman accused each of a range of sexual misconduct.

Toback has denied all the allegations. Weinstein, who was fired from his company and removed from various professional organizations following the reports, speaking through a rep, has denied any allegations of non-consensual sex and any allegations of reprisals against women.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Entertainment News

      

"What Makes You" busy: Luke Bryan prepares for his biggest year yet

No Comments

By Music News Group

ABC/Paula Lobo2018 is set to be the busiest year of Luke Bryan‘s career to date. In addition to a new album and an upcoming tour — both titled What Makes You Country — he’ll take a seat at the judges’ table alongside Lionel Richie and Katy Perry for ABC’s re-launch of American Idol.

Ultimately, the “Light It Up” hitmaker says it’ll be up to his fans to decide just how successful he is in 2018.

“I think the fans and what people see out of me will determine whether this is my biggest year ever or not,” Luke says matter-of-factly. “I mean, I know I’m certainly gonna be out there a lot working with Idol and my tour and the stuff that we’ve got planned and the venues that I know we’re gonna put on the tour.”

In the next few months, Luke will also be taking his music places it’s never been before.

“I could almost say that this will be the biggest year of my life,” he continues. “And I’m looking forward to getting into it. I mean, we’re going to Australia for the first time. I’m so excited to be going down there, and that’s all before the end of March. So who knows what’s gonna happen come April and the rest of the year?”

First up, Luke hosts his annual Crash My Playa getaway vacation January 17-20 in the Caribbean, before heading out on the What Makes You Country Tour in February. Luke’s season of American Idol premieres March 11 on ABC.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Country Music News

      

Arie Luyendyk Jr. drops hints about "The Bachelor" on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!"

No Comments

By Stephen Iervolino

ABC/Heidi Gutman(LOS ANGELES) — Jimmy Kimmel Live! returned Tuesday night with the first show of 2018 and of course host Jimmy Kimmel wanted to talk about The Bachelor.

The popular ABC reality dating show kicked off its 22nd season on New Year’s Day with Arie Luyendyk Jr. as the new star of the show. While Arie may be new to some in the viewing audience, he is well-known to fans of the Bachelor franchise as ‘the Kissing Bandit” from season eight of The Bachelorette when he was a runner-up.

Jimmy made fun of the big season premiere in his monologue and as is his tradition, Jimmy promised to predict the woman Arie will propose to. After narrowing it down to four, with the help of his wife, Jimmy predicted that Arie would choose Becca K. Among his reasons was that she was the first girl Arie gave a rose to at the Rose Ceremony.

Arie of course couldn’t respond or react but he did admit that he fell in love with not one but two women on the show. Naturally, Jimmy razzed him about it but Arie took it in his stride and remained cool throughout the interview.

The Bachelor airs Monday nights at 8 p.m. on ABC.

Jimmy Kimmel Live! airs weeknights at 11:35 p.m. on ABC.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Entertainment News

      

%d bloggers like this: