Home

TTR News Center

OJ Simpson released from prison after serving nine years for Vegas robbery

No Comments

By Brittany Martinez

Jason Bean-Pool/Getty Images(LOVELOCK, Nev.) — O.J. Simpson is a free man.

After spending nine years in prison for a Las Vegas robbery, the former NFL star walked out of the Lovelock Correctional Institute at 12:08 a.m. local time on Sunday, according to the Nevada Department of Corrections.

Simpson, 70, who served his time at the Lovelock Correctional Facility in Nevada, was granted parole at a hearing in July. The earliest date he was eligible for release was Oct. 1.

Simpson was sentenced to prison following an arrest in 2007 during a botched robbery in Las Vegas, when he led a group of men into a hotel and casino to steal sports memorabilia at gunpoint. The former Buffalo Bills star contended the memorabilia and other personal items belonged to him.

At his parole hearing in July, Simpsons said, “All I want is my property. … I wasn’t there to steal from anybody.”

Simpson reassured the board he would be successful meeting the conditions of his parole before it was granted, saying, “I’m not a guy who lived a criminal life.”

Simpson’s attorney, Malcolm LaVergne, told ABC News on Friday that upon his release, Simpson wants to go to Florida, where he can “see his family and hug his family on the outside of prison.”

“He wants to eat seafood, he wants to eat steak,” LaVergne said. “He wants to enjoy the very simple pleasures that he hasn’t enjoyed in nine years.”

Tom Scotto, one of Simpson’s longtime friends, told ABC News, “All he wants to do is spend time with his family and friends and his kids. And play a little golf.”

But Scotto added that Simpson won’t be shying away from the public eye.

“We’re not gonna hide,” Scotto said. “He’s gonna do the same things he always did.”

Over 20 years ago, Simpson went on trial for the 1994 killings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ron Goldman. On Oct. 3, 1995, at the end of a televised trial that captivated the nation, Simpson was acquitted of all criminal charges.

Simpson was found liable for the killings in a 1997 civil trial. He has always maintained his innocence.

Ron Goldman’s father and sister, Fred and Kim Goldman, said in a statement last week that they will continue pursuing the judgment awarded to them in the civil trial — an amount they say has climbed to $60 million.

“While we respect the Nevada Parole Board’s decision to release Simpson, it’s still difficult for us knowing he will be a free man again,” the Goldmans said. “We will continue pursuing the now $60 million judgment awarded to our family after the [civil trial] jury found that Simpson willfully and wrongfully caused the deaths of Ron and Nicole, as well as remain dedicated in our commitment to domestic violence awareness, victim advocacy and judicial reform.”

After the parole hearing, Fred Goldman said on “Good Morning America,” “It was never about the money [in the civil case.] It was punishment, and we didn’t have the opportunity to see him go to jail or death row for murder, but he got a judgment against him and honoring that judgment or making him honor the judgment is the only punishment that we can get from him.”

Kim Goldman said on “GMA,” when Simpson is released, “We’re going to go back to doing what we’ve done. I run a nonprofit working with teenagers, I do stories on other victims and survivors, I’m raising my kids. We’re active in the world of victims and survivors’ advocacy. We’re going to continue doing those things and take it one day at a time and if he chooses to write a book, or do a reality show, we’ll be there.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Two Texas high school football players kicked off team for national anthem protest

No Comments

By Kelly Terez

KTRK-TV(CROSBY, Texas) — Two Texas high school football players are at the center of a national debate after they were kicked off their team for protesting the national anthem on Friday night.

Cedric Ingram-Lewis and Larry McCullough said they told their coach, Ronnie Ray Mitchem of Victory & Praise Christian Academy, their plan before the game. Mitchem, a veteran, said the private team has a long-standing rule that players are not allowed to kneel during the anthem, according to ABC station KTRK-TV.

The coach said he told the players if they went ahead with their plan, it would be offensive to him as well as the other veterans in the stands, KTRK-TV reports.

After Ingram-Lewis and McCullough kneeled on Friday night, Mitchem walked over to them, shook their hands, and told them to take off their uniforms, according to KTRK-TV.

“If that’s what he believes, that’s what he believes,” McCullough said. “I don’t have nothing against what he believes. Even though he brings up that he was in the Marines, we have people in our family that served in the Marines, Army, and military. And people are serving now, and they believe that we did is right. And for him to feel that way, that’s just how he feels.”

Mitchem, who said he stopped watching the NFL because of the recent protests, told KTRK-TV he tried to work out other ways the players could protest, just not during the national anthem.

“I have personal opinions too and as an American I have a right to those opinions,” Mitchem said to KTRK-TV. “And I expressed those, and I just asked that we not do that.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Sports News

      

Monty Hall, 'Let's Make a Deal' co-creator and host, dies at age 96

No Comments

By ABC News Radio

Monty Hall, center, and announcer Jay Stewart, right, with a contestant on “Let’s Make a Deal”: ABC Photo Archives/ABC via Getty Images(BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.) — Monty Hall, the co-creator and longtime host of the classic TV game show Let’s Make a Deal, has died at age 96. Hall’s family confirmed his death from heart failure to ABC News.

Born in Canada, Hall earned a college degree in zoology and biology but instead began his career in radio, moving to television in 1960.

Let’s Make a Deal premiered in 1963 on NBC. Aided by model Carol Merrill and announcer Jay Stewart, Hall wandered the studio, giving modest prizes or cash to audience members and then offering them the chance to trade their prize for a potentially better deal, sight unseen. Some deals resulted in better prizes, and some didn’t, meaning the player got “zonked.”

The highlight was when a contestant was offered a choice of prizes hidden behind one of three on-stage doors — “door number one, door number two or door number three” became a national catch phrase. After choosing a door, contestants were usually shown a dud prize behind one of the two doors they didn’t choose, and then offered the opportunity to change their choice to the other remaining door. The odds of increasing your chances of winning a good prize by switching doors — the math shows its best to stick with your original choice — became a popular probability puzzle known as the Monty Hall Problem.

Let’s Make a Deal has aired more or less continuously since its debut, on different networks, in daytime and nighttime versions, and in syndication. Wayne Brady has hosted the latest incarnation of the show on CBS since 2009.

Hall also co-created and produced the 1970s TV game show Split Second, hosted by Tom Kennedy.

Hall’s wife, Marilyn, died last June. September 28 would have been their 70th wedding anniversary. They had three children, including actress Joanna Gleason.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Entertainment News

      

%d bloggers like this: