Home

TTR News Center

Marines suspend rescue effort for three service members after Osprey mishap off Australia

No Comments

By Suzie Liu

Lance Cpl. Stormy Mendez/U.S. Marine Corps(WASHINGTON) — The U.S. Navy and Marine Corps suspended search and rescue operations early Sunday for three service members who were aboard an Osprey involved in what the military called a “mishap” off the east coast of Australia on Saturday.

The operation was turned to a recovery effort at around 3 a.m. Sunday, and next-of-kin have been notified, according to a statement from III Marine Expeditionary Force.

“The transition comes after teams led continuous sustained search efforts supported by aircraft and ships. As the sea state permits, recovery efforts will be conducted to further search, assess and survey the area, in coordination and with assistance from the Australian Defence Force,” the statement said.

Twenty-three of the 26 personnel aboard the MV-22 Osprey have been rescued. The Osprey is an assault-support aircraft with the capability to land and take off vertically.

The Osprey had launched from the USS Bonhomme Richard amphibious assault ship and was conducting regularly scheduled operations when the helicopter “entered the water,” according to a statement from the III Marine Expeditionary Force.

“The ship’s small boats and aircraft immediately responded in the search and rescue efforts,” the statement added. “The circumstances of the mishap are currently under investigation.”

President Donald Trump has been briefed on the mishap by White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, according to the White House.

The Australian defense minister, Marise Payne, issued a statement Saturday saying she had been advised of the incident off the coast of the country’s Shoalwater Bay. Payne said she has briefed Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and spoken with U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis “to offer Australia’s support in any way that can be of assistance.”

“I can confirm no Australian Defense Force personnel were on board the aircraft. The United States are leading the search and recovery effort,” Payne noted in her statement. “Our thoughts are with the crew and families affected.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Search and rescue mission for three missing Marines after Osprey 'mishap' called off

No Comments

By Suzie Liu

Lance Cpl. Stormy Mendez/U.S. Marine Corps(WASHINGTON) — The U.S. Marine Corps has suspended a search-and-rescue operation for three service members who were aboard an Osprey involved in what the military called a “mishap” off the east coast of Australia on Saturday. The operation is now a recovery and salvage effort.

Twenty-three of the 26 personnel aboard the MV-22 Osprey have been rescued. The Osprey is an assault-support aircraft with the capability to land and take off vertically.

The Osprey had launched from the USS Bonhomme Richard amphibious assault ship and was conducting regularly scheduled operations when the helicopter “entered the water,” according to a statement from the III Marine Expeditionary Force.

“The ship’s small boats and aircraft immediately responded in the search-and-rescue efforts,” the statement added. “The circumstances of the mishap are currently under investigation.”

President Donald Trump was briefed on the incident by White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, according to the White House.

The Australian defense minister, Marise Payne, issued a statement Saturday saying she had been advised of the incident off the coast of the country’s Shoalwater Bay. Payne said she has briefed Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and spoken with U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis to “offer Australia’s support in any way that can be of assistance.”

“I can confirm no Australian Defense Force personnel were on board the aircraft. The United States are leading the search-and-recovery effort,” Payne noted in her statement. “Our thoughts are with the crew and families affected.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Man stranded in Arizona desert for days tells story of survival, rescue

No Comments

By Kelly Terez

Obtained by ABC News(PHOENIX) — A man says he was stranded for days in Arizona’s desert mountains with just a water bottle, a couple beers, some crackers and a spoiled sandwich, and he lived to tell the tale.

Mick Ohman said he was ending a road trip to Crown King, a mining ghost town nestled high in the Bradshaw Mountains, when he decided to take a back route home to Phoenix. His car broke down on a rugged road on the way in the sweltering desert around 3 p.m. on July 27.

Ohman told ABC News he hiked for hours in the wilderness trying to find a cell signal, with no luck. Ohman then used his phone to record a video message he hoped no one would have to see: “If you find this phone and I didn’t do so well, please tell my sisters how much I love them.”

While Ohman searched for help, he left behind handwritten notes on his SUV with his cellphone number, home address and the direction in which he had walked in case anyone came across his broken-down vehicle while he was gone.

Ohman told ABC News he had a half-full water bottle, two beers, a spoiled sandwich and some crackers in a lunchbox in his car. When those ran out, he survived by drinking the water from nearby creeks and even his own urine.

At daybreak on the third day, more than 48 hours after becoming stranded, Ohman said, he spotted a dirt biker over the horizon and flagged him down. The biker, Troy Haverland, told ABC News he took Ohman an hour-long ride to Lake Pleasant, where he met with authorities and was checked out by a medical team.

“I’m screaming in his ear the whole way, ‘You know, today you can say you saved a life,'” Ohman said in a recent interview with ABC affiliate KNXV-TV in Phoenix.

According to the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office, Ohman told deputies he had been stranded in the desert north of Lake Pleasant since July 27. Deputies called the Peoria Fire Department to evaluate Ohman, who then refused further medical treatment.

Deputies gave Ohman a ride to his residence in Phoenix and contacted Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office regarding his broken-down vehicle.

The Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said they would call Ohman directly with the exact GPS coordinates of his SUV so he could make arrangements to have it towed to a mechanic.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Special Weather Statement issued August 05 at 3:56PM CDT by NWS

No Comments

By w-nws.webmaster@noaa.gov …Elevated Heat Index Values Continue This afternoon… Afternoon heat index values this afternoon will peak in the 105 to 109 degree range for portions of South Central Texas. The majority of these higher readings will be along and east of Interstate 35. Prolonged exposure to the heat and/or exertion outdoors without proper hydration and other precautionary actions …read more

Source:: GONZALES COUNTY WX ALERT

      

Police release video of suspect wanted for Florida resort killings

No Comments

By Kelly Terez

iStock/Thinkstock(LONGBOAT KEY, Fla.) — Authorities on Friday released surveillance footage of a suspect wanted in the killings of two employees at a beach resort in Florida.

The suspect was caught on surveillance camera entering the lobby of the Zota Beach Resort in Longboat Key early Friday morning. The individual appears to be wearing a mask and holding a gun. Minutes later, the same individual is seen leaving the lobby holding what appears to be a gun in one hand and a cash drawer in the other.

The double homicide occurred around 2:41 a.m. ET, in between the time the suspect is seen entering and leaving the beachside hotel, according to Longboat Key Police Department Chief Peter Cumming.

The suspect shot and killed 51-year-old security guard Kevin Carter, of Bradenton, and 59-year-old night manager Timothy Hurley, of Sarasota. The suspect then took off with a small amount of money in the cash drawer from the register, according to Cumming.

Less than an hour later, a guest who was leaving the resort to go to the airport discovered the bodies of the two men and alerted authorities.

Cumming said the victims’ next of kin have been notified. Zota Beach Resort, which is set along the Gulf of Mexico, remains closed while authorities investigate the double homicide.

The police chief said investigators from agencies across Sarasota and Manatee counties spent about 12 hours at the crime scene Friday collecting and processing evidence, including fingerprints, bullet shells and surveillance footage. They have not ruled out the possibility of a second suspect due to evidence, Cumming said.

The Longboat Key Police Department and the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office, which are jointly investigating the killings, released the clip of the suspect from surveillance video on Friday in hopes it will help identify the suspect and eventually lead to an arrest.

“We’re working hard to make that happen,” Cumming told ABC News in a telephone interview Saturday.

Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact the Longboat Key Police Department, Manatee County Sheriff’s Office or Crime Stoppers at 866-634-TIPS.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

%d bloggers like this: