Home

TTR News Center

Cornyn, Cruz Bill to Rename Checkpoint After Fallen Agent Javier Vega Passes Senate

No Comments

U.S. Sens. John Cornyn (R-Texas) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) today released the following statements after their bill to honor the fallen U.S. Border Patrol Agent Javier Vega, Jr. for his service by renaming the Border Patrol checkpoint where he was assigned, along U.S. Highway 77 North in Sarita, Texas, after him passed the U.S. Senate. …read more

Source:: U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz

      

Sewage leak contaminates checked bags at Nashville airport

No Comments

By TJH

Lester Lefkowitz/Getty Images(NASHVILLE) — A sewage leak at Nashville International Airport may have contaminated about 200 Southwest Airlines passengers’ bags, the airline said in a statement Thursday.

Airport officials told ABC News that the source of the problem was a single toilet in a women’s restroom inside the terminal, closely positioned over the baggage handling area. The sewage flowed through the bathroom floor, leaked into the bagging handling area and seeped into some bags that were checked in for Southwest’s early morning flights, according to the officials.

The bags are currently being sanitized, and replacement bags are being offered on a case-by-case basis, the airline said.

According to the airline’s statement, its employees “identified which bags may have been affected” and are “proactively contacting customers, processing bags and reuniting customers with their luggage.”

The airline said the leak didn’t cause any flight delays.

Baggage handlers identified the leak and sorted through the affected bags before beginning the clean-up process, according to the airport officials. They added that some passengers opted to travel without their damaged bags.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Man arrested after Southwest passenger says she saw him texting 'about molesting children,' police say

No Comments

By TJH

San Jose Police(SAN JOSE, Calif.) — A man aboard a Southwest Airlines flight was arrested after a fellow passenger said she witnessed him texting about child molestation, police in California said.

The woman, who was on a Southwest Airlines flight from Seattle to San Jose on Monday, told authorities she saw the man — identified by police as 56-year-old Tacoma, Washington, resident Michael Kellar — using a large smartphone with an enlarged font to text about “sexually molesting young children,” according to the San Jose Police Department.

The witness was seated behind Kellar, police said in a statement. She then alerted the flight crew, who in turn contacted San Jose Police working inside the airport terminal upon landing, police said. Kellar was then detained, according to police.

During an investigation, authorities determined that 50-year-old Gail Burnworth — also of Tacoma, Washington — had been “engaged in inappropriate sexual texts with Kellar,” police said.

Two children, ages 5 and 7, have been identified as victims, police said.

Kellar was booked into the Santa Clara County Jail on two counts of attempted child molestation and two counts of solicitation of a sex crime, police said.

Burnworth was arrested and booked in the Pierce County Jail in Washington and was charged with sexual exploitation of a minor, rape of a child in the first degree and dealing in depictions of a minor engaged in sexually explicit conduct, police said.

A spokesperson for the San Jose Police Department told The Mercury News that Kellar had been holding his smartphone close to his face and in the line of vision of the passenger who reported him.

Kellar freely consented to the search of his phone and chalked up the texts as fantasy and role playing, police said, according to The Mercury News.

ABC News could not immediately reach Kellar and Burnworth for comment. It is unclear if they have retained attorneys or entered pleas to the charges against them.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Detroit man charged in 2016 murder of Wayne State University officer

No Comments

By TJH

Wayne County Sheriff (DETROIT) — Michigan prosecutors are pressing charges against a Detroit man for the 2016 murder of a university police officer.

Wayne County Prosecutors have charged 61-year-old Raymond Durham with the November shooting death of 29-year-old Wayne State University Sgt. Collin Rose, they announced in a press conference Thursday.

Durham was charged with first-degree premeditated murder, murder of a peace officer, possession of a firearm by a felon and two counts of felony firearm, the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office said in a press release.

The charges follow an investigation by the Detroit Police Department that began in December, after the man initially arrested in connection with Rose’s death was eliminated as a suspect, prosecutors said.

Durham also faces multiple charges — including assault with intent to murder, resisting arrest, felon in possession of a firearm — for an “unprovoked” attack in March, during which he allegedly opened fired on two Detroit police officers and injured them, according to prosecutors.

After the March shooting, a DNA match linked Raymond to Rose’s murder, he was “considered a prime suspect” in the case, Detroit Police Chief James Craig said at the time.

During his court appearance Thursday afternoon, Durham was found not competent to stand trial for the charges against him in the March shooting, said Maria Miller, director of communications for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office. His scheduled arraignment for Rose’s death did not occur because Judge Kenneth King requested a competency hearing for those charges, as well, Miller told ABC News.

In the early evening hours on Nov. 22, Rose had conducted a traffic stop on Durham, who was riding a bicycle near Lincoln and Brainard Streets in Detroit, prosecutors said. Raymond then shot Rose in the head and fled on foot. Rose died as a result of his injuries.

One of the defense attorneys representing Durham, David Cripps, told ABC News that Durham has a “long, long ongoing psychological history” and that he maintains his innocence.

Durham is currently being held at the Center for Forensic Psychiatry, Cripps said, adding that he was deemed incompetent to stand trial for the March shooting by two doctors at the center.

Cripps said that those in the criminal justice system witness a “revolving door in relation to mental illness,” describing some clients who are in and out of both psychiatric and prison facilities due to lack of state resources to treat the mentally ill.

Wayne State Police Chief Anthony Holt said that while the department is “still recovering,” the charges against Durham in Rose’s are some solace.

“We are thankful to observe the judicial process moving forward. This will bring a sense of closure to the family, our officers and the Wayne State University community at large,” said Wayne State Police Chief Anthony Holt. “This is a solemn time, not one of celebration, as our department is still recovering. But it does provide some comfort.”

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in statement that Rose and the impact he had on the community will “never be forgotten.”

“Our hearts go out to his family and friends,” she said. “His life inspired the local and federal law enforcement community to work tirelessly to bring charges against defendant Durham. This case continues to strongly illustrate the dangers that police officers face every minute of every day.”

Craig said he hopes that the charges against Durham will “send a strong message of deterrence to those who may want to bring harm” to officers.

“The announcement of these charges is particularly important as it signifies to the men and women who serve this city that they are supported and their safety is paramount,” Craig said.

Raymond’s next appearance is scheduled for Nov. 1, according to the prosecutor’s office.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

'The Middle' reaches the end after nine seasons

No Comments

By ABC News Radio

ABC/Craig Sjodin(LOS ANGELES) — It’s the end for The Middle.

The critically-acclaimed sitcom’s upcoming ninth season will also be its last, ABC announced on Wednesday, explaining, “After almost a decade on the air, the executive producers of the award-winning series have decided that the ninth season would be the best one in which to wrap up the story of the Heck family.”

The Middle stars Patricia Heaton as a middle-American housewife who relies on her dry wit and sense of humor to get through the day. Neil Flynn, Charlie McDermott, Eden Sher and Atticus Shaffer also star.

The Middle‘s ninth and final season premieres October 3 on ABC.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Entertainment News

      

%d bloggers like this: