Home

TTR News Center

Thumbnail for 462579

Michael B. Jordan to headline HBO's adaptation of "Fahrenheit 451"

No Comments

By Stephen Iervolino

Marvel – 2017(LOS ANGELES) — Michael B. Jordan is the latest star to be added to HBO’s adaptation of Fahrenheit 451.

According to Deadline, Jordan will star alongside Michael Shannon in the sci-fi movie, based on Ray Bradbury’s novel of the same name.

The book, which was originally published in 1953, is set in a dystopian future world where books are outlawed and burned. Jordan is set to play Montag, a young fireman who “forsakes his world,” while Shannon will play his mentor Beatty, who “struggles to regain his humanity.”

Jordan is set to executive-produce the project under his Outlier Productions company. In addition to Fahrenheit 451 and the forthcoming Black Panther film, the Creed actor is also starring in a remake of The Thomas Crown Affair.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: Entertainment News

      

Thumbnail for 462577

US authorities debating charges against Wikileaks' Assange

No Comments

By David Rind

Carl Court/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — U.S. authorities have been engaged in discussions over whether to seek charges against Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The debate over charges was first reported by CNN.

Officials have been debating whether Wikileaks — the organization which has shared troves of confidential materials, often received via persons sharing it illegally — should be viewed as a journalistic enterprise, as Assange claims, or as a group that illegally aided and abetted the widespread disclosure of sensitive information.

The matter was previously considered by the administration of President Barack Obama, but charges were never brought.

In March, Wikileaks released files it said originated from the CIA and detailed the agency’s ability to secretly gain access to internet-connected consumer products.

Last week, CIA Director Mike Pompeo took aim at the organization, describing it as a “hostile” intelligence-gathering service that at times is “abetted by state actors like Russia.” He further identified Assange as a “fraud” and “coward.”

“I am quite confident that had Assange been around in the 1930s and 40s and 50s, he would have found himself on the wrong side of history,” said Pompeo.

Assange is currently living in the Embassy of Ecuador — the country that granted him asylum in 2012 — in London, where he has avoided extradition to Sweden over sexual assault charges.

President Donald Trump’s personal opinion of Wikileaks has varied over time. During the presidential campaign, he praised the organization as it released the purported emails of the Democratic National Committee, at one point calling it a “treasure trove.” But Trump has also criticized the actions Wikileaks’ sources such as Chelsea Manning, whom he has called a “traitor.”

During the first three months of his presidency, Trump has identified the leaking of sensitive information as one of the federal government’s most serious problems. He has repeatedly implored the intelligence community to find “leakers” who have provided information on surveillance activities involving his associates that have ensnared his administration in controversy.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Thumbnail for 462575

How authorities found missing Tenn. student Elizabeth Thomas and former teacher Tad Cummins

No Comments

By David Rind

artolympic/iStock/Thinkstock(CECILVILLE, Ca.) — The missing Tennessee teen who was allegedly kidnapped by her former teacher was found in an isolated cabin in northern California after authorities received a tip late Wednesday describing a possible sighting of the pair.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation received the tip around 11 p.m. Wednesday and the caller pointed authorities to a cabin in Cecilville, a rural area near the Oregon border with little to no cell service, TBI Public Information Officer Joshua Devine said.

The caller indicated that 15-year-old Elizabeth Thomas and her former teacher, 50-year-old Tad Cummins, may have been living in the cabin for a week-and-a-half, Devine said.

The Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office also received a similar tip from the same individual around the same time, the sheriff’s office said.

Deputies in Siskiyou County located a 2015 silver Nissan Rougue at the cabin that matched the description of the car Cummins was driving, according to the sheriff’s office. Investigators were then able to use the car’s VIN number to confirm that it belonged to Cummins and kept the car under surveillance for several hours, Devine said.

Law enforcement then established a perimeter around the cabin and decided to wait until the morning to arrest Cummins as he exited the cabin, according to the sheriff’s office. A citizen who had befriended the pair assisted police on the scene.

As daylight broke, Cummins was taken into custody, Devine said. Thomas family attorney Jason Whatley said a special police unit “swooped in” on the cabin with “force.”

Elizabeth exited the cabin behind Cummins and was taken into FBI custody in Redding, California, authorities said.

Two loaded handguns were recovered in the cabin, as well as personal items belonging to the pair, according to the sheriff’s office.

Cummins was transported to the Siskiyou County Jail in Yreka, according to the sheriff’s office. He will be arraigned Friday morning.

It could take weeks to extradite Cummins, the FBI said.

Cummins faces charges in Siskiyou County for kidnapping and possession of stolen property, according to the sheriff’s office. The charges are pending review by Siskiyou County District Attorney Kirk Andrus.

In Lawrence County, Tennessee, Cummins faces charges of aggravated kidnapping and sexual contact with a minor, said Attorney General Brent Cooper.

The U.S. State Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Tennessee also filed a federal charge of transportation of a minor across state lines with intent of having criminal sexual intercourse against Cummins, said U.S. attorney Jack Smith. The charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison.

Whatley speculated that Cummins had planned an escape to the Northwest, referencing the citing of the two at a Walmart in Oklahoma City off Interstate 44, which leads to California.

There are “particular qualities in the Northwest that make it easy to disappear,” Whatley said.

Elizabeth was described by authorities to be “healthy” and “unharmed,” but they added that the main concern is the state of her emotional and mental well being. She will be flown back to Tennessee Friday morning on a TBI aircraft, Devine said.

The teen had been missing since she was allegedly kidnapped on March 13 by Cummins, who had been added to Tennessee’s Top 10 Most Wanted list. A day after they disappeared, Cummins was fired from his teaching job at Culleoka Unit School, where Elizabeth had been a student in his forensics class.

Authorities credited citizens and the media for their involvement in helping to locate the teen. Investigators received more than 1,500 tips regarding the whereabouts of the pair, according to the FBI.

“It only takes one tip,” Gwyn said. “This is yet another example of the value of the public helping us to rescue a kidnapping victim.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Thumbnail for 462573

How the controversial DACA deportation case landed with Judge Curiel

No Comments

By David Rind

moodboard/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — Juan Manuel Montes, 23, was deported to Mexico in February in what has become a controversial case, pitting his advocates against Trump administration officials.

Attorneys for Montes allege that he was arrested, detained and deported in the middle of the night in mid-February. Then a couple days later, after being attacked and mugged in Mexico, he crossed back into the U.S. – turning himself into to U.S. authorities.

However, according to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the first incident never happened.

“There are no records or evidence to support Montes’ claim that he was detained or taken to the Calexico Port of Entry on February 18, 2017,” said a DHS statement.

Attorneys are now suing the government for more information and in a twist of fate, the lawsuit was assigned to the same judge Trump berated on the campaign trail.

Where the case stands now

Montes’ attorneys claim that this is first known case of a DACA recipient, or so-called “DREAMer” being deported under the administration of President Donald Trump and they want answers.

Lawyers for the 23-year-old brought a lawsuit in federal court, calling on the government to provide information about his case.

“The reason we filed the lawsuit on Manuel is first and foremost, we want the truth,” said attorney Karen Tumlin in an interview with ABC News.

Montes’ DACA status grants him permission to live and work in the U.S., according to court documents.

According to the government, he gave up that status when he left the U.S. without first getting permission — a requirement to keep DACA authorization. And they said he further violated his status, when he illegally re-entered the U.S.

“He once was covered by DACA but because of his behavior, his illegal behavior, he messed up that status and now he is been removed to his country of origin,” said DHS Sec. John Kelly when asked about the case during a border tour in El Paso, Texas on Thursday.

DHS produced a “few pages” of documents to attorneys this morning, detailing only the second deportation of Montes, said Tumlin.

This came after numerous requests for information that went unanswered — resulting in the lawsuit, said his attorney.

Attorneys for Montes said they will be responding immediately to what has been produced today, because they “believe it’s willfully insufficient,” said Tumlin.

We “will be moving as fast as possible to get answers for Juan Manuel,” she added.

The case is now before U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel, who presided over two of the three lawsuits involving the now-defunct Trump University. Trump has attacked Curiel multiple times over the last year, questioning whether the judge’s heritage would influence his judicial decisions.

How the case landed with Judge Curiel

It’s a twist of fate, that the lawsuit landed before the same judge Trump berated on the campaign trail.

The case landed at the U.S. District Court for Southern California, where it was randomly assigned to Curiel, who serves as one of 17 federal district court judges, according to the clerk’s’ office.

The alleged incident took place in Calexico, California, giving the district court geographic authority. Montes’ attorneys are suing the federal government, so it went straight to federal court.

Judicial ethics rules prevent Curiel from commenting on any case that is before his court.

Montes’ attorney said that Trump’s past comments about Curiel are “absolutely irrelevant” to their case.

“As a litigator, as someone who appears before judges all over the country, I rely on anyone who rules the vote to be fair and impartial, and that’s what i expect of Judge Curiel, she said.

What’s next

Homeland Security officials maintain that Montes was justly arrested and deported.

Customs and Border Protection always keeps records of encounters and deportations, according to Customs and Border Protection.

“If it’s not in the system, then we didn’t encounter the person,” said a CBP official.

In addition, during his detention and arrest by Border Patrol on February 19, he admitted to agents that he had illegally entered the U.S., said DHS, which oversees CBP and Border Patrol.

He never mentioned that he had received DACA status during his arrest interview, according to DHS.

But his attorneys and advocates are standing by Montes’ account of the events and are continuing to press the lawsuit.

“Juan Manuel has been completely clear about at least two things since we’ve been talking to him: one, he’s been on DACA the whole time, which is true. And two, he knew that there were flashing red lights in his mind about leaving the United States, the country he considers home,” said Tumlin.

Montes is currently staying with extended family in Mexico. He doesn’t want his location revealed, according to Tumlin.

He misses his family and is sad about not being able to complete his education, according to his lawyer.

“I think the best outcome is first and foremost that Juan Manuel knows what happens to him, and that his story is corroborated and then we will swiftly seek his return home.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

Thumbnail for 462571

Suspect in Fresno shooting rampage charged with previous murder of motel security guard

No Comments

By David Rind

jinga80/iStock/Thinkstock(FRESNO, Ca.) — The suspect behind a shooting rampage that killed three people in just minutes in Fresno, California Tuesday has been charged with murder from a previous killing.

The Fresno County District Attorney’s Office charged Kori Ali Muhammad in last week’s murder of 25-year-old Carl Williams, a security guard at a local Motel 6. Muhammad told investigators that he shot Williams because he disrespected him, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said Wednesday. He is also charged with attempted murder for shooting at a second security guard.

Muhammad — born Kori McDonald — will be arraigned Friday morning on that murder charge. The district attorney has not yet submitted its case on this week’s shooting spree.

Police said Muhammad was inspired to carry out the “hate crime” shooting after learning on a local news report that he was the suspect of the Motel 6 murder.

Muhammad told police that he is Muslim but had’t been to a mosque in 20 years and prays to numerous gods and practices voodoo rituals.

On Tuesday morning, he had gone to buy items to practice voodoo but stopped at a Starbucks instead, where he used the wi-fi to watch a news broadcast from ABC Fresno station KFSN, which identified him as the suspect in Williams’ murder.

He then decided to kill as many white males as possible, Dyer said, adding that he Muhammad told investigators that he does not like white men. Muhammad has also written anti-government sentiments on social media as well as posts saying that he does not like white people, the police chief said.

Muhammad fired 17 shots in about three minutes, killing three people. He also fired at two women inside of a car and at a group of men at a bus stop.

Muhammad was arrested shortly after the shooting and has since given detectives several hours of interviews describing his actions, laughing while he made the descriptions, Dyer said.

Dyer said that officers witnessed Muhammad yell “Allahu akbar” at the scene of the shooting. Dyer described Muhammad as a “racist” rather than a terrorist.

The shooting was labeled by police as a hate crime. It is unclear if Muhammad has retained an attorney.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more

Source:: National News

      

%d bloggers like this: